View Vacancy - Trade and Investment Associate (Consumer Goods)
Main purpose job:
Based in the British Consulate-General, Los Angeles, this position provides operational and administrative support to the TIO for Consumer Goods. This team creates UK jobs and will be helping UK exporters identify export opportunities and achieve business across a wide range of consumer goods, focussing specifically on Food & Drink and Retail (and all of the sub-sectors). In addition, the team looks to identify key decision-makers and business development opportunities with US companies, in the retail space, looking to grow their activities overseas (in the UK).
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
This job has targets and a multi-tasker is a priority. We are looking for someone who is excited by the opportunities the retail economy offers and who has an interest in retail (food & drink and retail).
Supporting the Trade & Investment Officer, the roles and responsibilities include:
- Make initial contact, organize visit programmes and schedule meetings for the Consumer Goods TIO. Attend meetings where appropriate and support the management of client relationships.
- Conduct research and compile reports on industry developments, best routes to market and potential U.S. business partners for UK consumer goods exporters (especially in premium categories) looking to enter the U.S. market.
- Working with the TIO, support with the Consumer Goods Sector Lead to champion the UK’s food & drink/retail strategies and to develop/deliver activities that increase awareness of UK consumer brands and help UK exporters achieve business.
- Identify key decision makers and business opportunities with US companies, in the retail space, looking to establish or grow their presence in the UK.
- Assist with initiatives such as trade missions, seminars, webinars, receptions and other events to promote the UK’s strengths in consumer goods. Provide event management and logistical support where necessary.
- Maintain client relationship management records, lists of industry contacts and other data.
- Liaise with internal teams and external contacts at an executive level, including cold calls and networking at events.
- Support and facilitate visits by senior government officials and other VIPs, including by organising logistics and scheduling company meetings.
- Provide operational and administrative support to the Consumer Goods TO and to the wider Los Angeles DIT team, as required.
- Develop, maintain, and disseminate knowledge of developments, trends, and opportunities, in the consumer goods sector in both the US and the UK, with a particular focus on food and beverages, household goods, fashion, leisure, and luxury goods.
- Build and maintain a healthy pipeline of investment leads.
- Manage initiatives such as industry-focused seminars, webinars, receptions and other events to promote the UK’s strengths in the sector
- Routinely monitor regular and social media to source new business opportunities
- Undertake occasional travel in the U.S. and the UK (up to 5% of the time).
Essential on arrival:
- Business development
- Some knowledge of the retail sector
- Microsoft suite skills
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Sector knowledge
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong communication skills;
Level of language required: 1
This opportunity is closed to applications.