View Vacancy - Portfolio Manager (RUS209)
The British Embassy in Moscow is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now recruiting a Portfolio Manager.
The British Embassy manages a series of bilateral programmes designed to strengthen "people-to-people" relations across a range of areas between the UK and Russia and to support civil society.
We are looking for someone who will lead delivery of these major projects. Reporting to the Deputy Head of Mission, you will ensure strategic oversight of our programmes, line manage colleagues engaged in the day-to-day delivery of the projects and ensuring that project reporting and financial management is in line with the FCO’s guidelines. You will also act as a coordination point on our programmes for different teams within the Embassy as well as with the British Council. You will liaise regularly and productively with project partners. And you will ensure that specific results are achieved within budget, on time and to a high standard.
- Manager of the Open Futures programme fund for Russia. Managing delivery of a portfolio of multi-million pound, multi-year projects in three main areas – supporting future leaders, strengthening the rule of law, and developing civil society. Managing risks in a complex political environment, working closely with policy colleagues and liaising with other donors. You will combine strategic knowledge of Russia with an understanding of wider UK policy to help devise, manage and monitor programmes which deliver against the Russia strategy.
- Management of the Conflict and Security Strategic Fund, focused on the North Caucasus and countering violent extremism in one of the most volatile regions of Russia. Regular contact with project partners, developing expertise with Political Section on the context and challenges for work in the North Caucasus, and devising methods for evaluating the programme (given the constraints of FCO Travel Advice on Russia).
- Manage the Chevening Scholarship programme (prestigious post-graduate 1-yr university placements in UK) in Russia. Russia’s programme will become the largest in the region and will account for at least 24 scholarships a year. The role will involve leading the Russia network in getting maximum value from this programme, advertising it widely in Russia’s regions, conducting interviews and keeping in touch with alumni.
- Oversight of other funds in Russia. The Russia Network has a Bilateral Programme Budget of c.£1m, and is also running substantial projects relating to human rights and the Rule of Law.
- Substantial project management experience, preferably in a government context;
- Proven ability to coordinate, manage and get the most out of people in order to achieve a determined goal;
- People management experience;
- Experience and knowledge of the Russian political context;
- Excellent oral and written English.
- Oral and written Russian would be an advantage.
In return we offer:
• An interesting, fast-paced challenging job in a friendly, close-knit bilingual team (English is the working language);
• Ability to develop contacts and experience, training opportunities, both personal and professional;
• Private medical insurance (including dentistry) upon completion of probation period;
• Excellent working environment in central Moscow location (Smolenskaya) with on-compound facilities including cafeteria, nursery, swimming pool and gym.
The deadline for applications is June 19. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited to interview in the British Embassy. The successful candidate will be expected to start shortly thereafter.
This is a full-time, fixed-term/temporary contract (subject to a probation period of 3 months) until March 2018 (extension to be confirmed), 36 hours net per week.
The monthly salary for this position is Rub 123,179.00 gross, D6 level.
Applicants must hold a full passport valid for at least 12 months for any of the following: United Kingdom, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and EU countries living (and eligible to work) in Moscow.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Russia is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Russian employment law.
The British Embassy does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation. All candidates must have a pre-existing legal status to live and work in Russia.
The successful candidate will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
This opportunity is closed to applications.