View Vacancy - Consular Assistant A1, Tenerife (ESP244)
The British Embassy in Spain is part of a global network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now recruiting for a Consular Assistant position in Tenerife.
With over 300,000 British residents and 15 million British tourists annually, Spain is the Foreign & Commonwealth Office’s busiest consular operation globally. The selected candidate will assist the dynamic and professional team based in Tenerife in providing a high quality consular service to vulnerable British nationals abroad. The consular district includes Tenerife, La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro.
Full induction and training will be provided to the successful candidate.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver first class customer service to British nationals approaching the Consulate for assistance, effectively dealing with the counter, emails and telephone enquiries.
- Process Emergency Travel Document applications, ensuring production is accurate and timely.
- The job will also involve supporting consular officers when dealing with vulnerable customers i.e. contacting or liaising with stakeholders and partners such as Courts, hospitals or funeral directors
- Provide back office support to the consular team with tasks such as electronic filing, post, updating documents, setting up meetings as well as programmes for external visitors.
May also be required to assist in the preparation and response to a crisis situation involving large numbers of British nationals, such as forest fires, large scale accidents or natural disasters.
- 2-3 years of work experience
- Excellent communication and customer service and interpersonal skills, including an ability to support customers in traumatic or difficult circumstances.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with colleagues within a fast moving target-driven team and the wider network
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work at pace and prioritise, managing an often heavy workload; excellent organisational skills.
- Fluency in both English and Spanish (a minimum of C2 level) Language level will be tested during the interview
- Good IT skills (use of Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel essential);
- Key qualities are flexibility, empathy and resilience.
- Background in administrative and customer facing roles will be preferred
- An understanding of the issues that British nationals in Spain may face, both tourists and residents
- Experience in statistics gathering and analysis would be an advantage
- Full driving licence
Terms and Conditions
This is a part-time temporary position for 6 months. The working hours are 12 hrs per week on Monday – Wednesday & Friday 09.30–13.30 , but may be required to work out of hours in an emergency or crisis situation. Occasionally some flexibility will be expected.
The gross yearly salary is € 6.664,93 at a locally engaged A1 level.
The successful candidate will be subject to a confirmation of a background check and security clearance, and a successful completion of a probationary period of 1 month.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Spanish Social Security Scheme and will therefore not be entitled to any gratuity from the Embassy/Consulate based on gross annual salary.
Regarding taxation, the Consulate in Tenerife is part of the British Mission in Spain, and as such supervised by the British Embassy. The Embassy is a Diplomatic Mission with tax exempt status and does not collect taxes for other States. Employees are fully responsible for payment of Spanish income tax at the legally required rate. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Spain are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Spanish employment law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Spain. The British Embassy does not sponsor work permits.
Please be advised that Consular positions at the FCO entail dealing with casework in situations that may involve death, detention, rape, assault, post-mortems, prison visits and highly distressed customers.
Candidates should therefore have a high level of resilience to trauma.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
This opportunity is closed to applications.