View Vacancy - Mover and Maintenance Worker, UK Mission to the United Nations
Main purpose of job:
The British Government’s Mission to the United Nations (UKMIs) in New York has an exciting opportunity for an active, and dynamic person to join the Estates Team as part of the Mover and Maintenance Team. This opportunity is a rewarding role which supports and further develops the special relationship between the UK and the UN, supporting work at the forefront of international diplomacy in order to make a real difference globally.
The Mission is part of the wider British Government’s network of Consulates and Government Offices in the United States and offers a unique career enhancing opportunity. UKMis represent the United Kingdom at all negotiations in New York, plays a key role in the Security Council as a Permanent Member and ensure British interests and views are taken into account.
The Network is committed to supporting its staff through a variety of benefits including generous leave, insurance packages and a highly competitive 401k programme. It also promotes a culture of flexibility which enables people to better maintain wellness through an excellent work/life balance approach. This encompasses hybrid working, including working from home and flexible hours, where possible. In this role you would be working in a diverse international environment to support UK diplomats, armed forces personnel and other country based staff operating across the Mission.
The New York British Government Office is comprised of over 200 staff, across two offices, 8 Government Departments, and a wide range of policy priorities. The successful candidate will therefore be working with diverse range of stakeholders and issues. Exceptional people management and clear written and spoken communication skills are essential. The jobholder must have an adaptable approach with a willingness to learn and work flexibly across a broad range of issues, including new areas not covered above, which might emerge during the individual’s time in the role. Therefore, the successful candidate will be collaborative, proactive and willing to help others enthusiastically.
The role will be within the Mover & Maintenance Team (MMT), an important part of the Estates Team within the Corporate Services Department of the UK Mission.
The MMT are responsible for ensuring the UK’s properties in New York are well maintained and provide a professional appearance to visitors. Under the supervision of the Maintenance Manager the MMT perform moves of furniture to, and general repairs in, the owned and leased properties (including residences) of the UK mission. The repairs will be painting, carpentry, tiling & grouting, standard plumbing, standard electrical, etc. You will also assists with the preparation and execution of preventative maintenance plans and supporting the Maintenance Manager with the inspection of works performed by contractors. You must care for and maintain UK mission assets including the cargo van, tools and other material. Frequent travel around Manhattan and Brooklyn is required.
Roles and responsibilities:
The MMT provides the following service:
• Undertake moves (removing and delivering furniture) including lifting, carrying and frequently pushing, heavy furniture on dollies and loaded carts;
• Assembly of office and residential furniture;
• Carry-out general carpentry, tiling & grouting, painting, plumbing and minor electrical works;
• Routine and preventative maintenance within properties;
• Diagnosing and reporting (mechanical) issues, draft scope of work for repairs;
• Overseeing contractors when professional repairs are necessary;
• Installation and testing of washer/ dryer and kitchen appliances;
• Organise and maintain stocks and the warehouse storage facility;
• Manage domestic float inventories for arriving/departing officers and their families;
• Driving the Mover & Maintenance van;
• Ad-hoc tasks related to general maintenance/ repair.
• Minimum 3 years of recent hands-on experience in a maintenance environment;
• Ability to move heavy objects (with dollies and loaded carts if required);
• Dependable and responsible team player (MMT is a team of 3);
• Strong team player who can work flexibly based on the changing needs of the team and business;
• Valid driving license;
• Good IT skills and the ability to effectively use Outlook, Excel and Word;
• Communicating clearly and with a customer focus.
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work.
*A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defense Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas.
The British Embassy and its US Network is committed to all employee’s ongoing learning and development needs. We offer a comprehensive platform for personalised learning for everything from soft skill development (communicating with impact, handling difficult conversations, time management) to more technical or professional skills necessary to complete your job (software training, formal qualifications etc.).
• On the job development based on FCDO policies and guidelines.
• Other opportunities for learning and development, including personal development or network learning opportunities via our Embassy team in Washington DC (possible travel) are also supported.
Usual office working hours Monday-to-Friday, 40h/week.
The role does require property visits.
The UK Government operating in the US offers a substantial benefits package including generous leave, a choice of medical insurance, 401(k) matching up to 7%, extensive learning opportunities and a great work/life balance. Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount. Internal candidates must inform their supervisor before they apply to a different position.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.