View Vacancy - Chef de partie polyvalent (FRA22.564)
The British Embassy in Paris is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic, commercial and consular interests overseas. We are currently looking for a Chef de Partie Polyvalent.
Reporting to the Residence head chefs, the chef de partie polyvalent has a key role in the kitchen and is in charge of preparing the meals to be served to customers. The station chef is a hands-on, multi-skilled member of the team who can assume a variety of roles: pastry chef, butcher and fish chef, grill chef. He / she masters all cooking and preparation techniques.
The successful candidate will be a team player, ready to share his expertise and give support to the existing team of 3: 2head chefs and 1 kitchen helper.
Main roles and responsibilities:
- Mastering all cooking and preparation techniques, for all types of food including meat, fish, vegetables, sauces; the chef de partie is a key player in the kitchen day to day activities.
- Assisting the head chefs as necessary with menu preparation, both in kitchen and patisserie
- Responsible for supervising the commis / kitchen assistant
- Supply management and stock control: checking the quality of the ingredients delivered daily and flagging any issues to the head chefs
- Demonstrating autonomy and being able to elaborate, prepare, cook and present a menu from starter to dessert
- Assisting with Management of H&S rules in the kitchen
- Overseeing food safety standards and operate and maintain all department equipment. Reporting malfunction
- Cleaning and manual duties: taking part in the collective daily cleaning of the kitchen
- Ensure effective communication between staff by maintaining a secure and friendly working environment
- Potential to act as sous-chef when both head chefs are absent.
The successful candidate will be required to work flexibly in line with operational requirements. On occasion, the chef de partie may be required to work in another kitchen on the compound.
- Excellent level of French is essential (both oral and written) C1 Level or equivalent*. English (oral) would be a plus
- 7 years experience in total with 2 years of alternance and a minimum of 5 years experience in a high level restaurant or luxury hotel
- Previous experience as a chef de partie and commis
- Mastering all cooking techniques, for all types of food
- Attention to detail to ensure the quality and safety of preparation procedures and the general pace of the operation
- Communication abilities: being able to gather information and handle problems quickly. The kitchen is a collective setting where personnel need to communicate to work together effectively.
- Time management: manage their time through prioritising and completing meal preparation, purchase scheduling, supply management, etc.
- Demonstrating resilience: The Residence kitchen team works long shifts, and there is a fair amount of standing, walking and lifting
- Ability to perform well under pressure
- Excellent organisational, time management and communication skills, as well as attention to detail.
This is a full-time and fixed-term position for 12 months of 35 hours per week.
All appointments are subject to professional background check satisfactory security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to provide a copy of his/her passport or national identity card for all nationalities held, an up-to-date criminal record (casier judiciaire) for recent countries of residence (which can be obtained online at https://www.cjn.justice.gouv.fr/cjn/b3/eje20 ), two written proofs of address (utility invoices and/or bank statements) and two references.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in France are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local French employment law and FCDO guidance for Country Based Staff. The posts we offer are not an entry point into the UK’s Diplomatic Service.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in France and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Languages: *Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.