View Vacancy - JPN (Tokyo) - Energy and Climate Change Assistant, Administrative Assistant
Main Purpose of Job:
To provide administrative and logistical support to Energy and Climate Change team members at the British Embassy Tokyo.
This is an opportunity to work with colleagues at the Embassy who work on climate change and energy policy. We engage with Japanese government, industry organisations, civil society and academia on climate, energy and environmental issues in line with UK government policy. The assistant will support delivery of our objectives through providing administrative and logistical support.
What will the Jobholder be Expected to Achieve:
Administrative Support (70%):
- Setting up meetings with external contacts and making transport arrangements.
- Managing contacts relevant to the team’s work and keeping up to date on organisational changes of stakeholders. Updating organograms and biographies of external organisations and contacts list.
- Providing logistical support for events, including invitation and venue arrangements, liaising with other sections in the Embassy as necessary.
- Providing support for official and Ministerial visits from the UK.
- Taking responsibility for budget management, including monitoring team spending and reminding team of necessary actions; managing stationery orders, subscriptions and other requisitioning needs.
- Managing public enquiries relating to the work of the team.
Media Monitoring (20%):
- Monitoring media outlets and summarising (in Japanese and English) key developments on energy and environment policies and business activities on a timely basis.
- Monitoring UK Government website for key policy developments in energy and environment.
- Draft and send out newsletters in Japanese for internal and external stakeholders.
- The jobholder will also be expected to take on task outside of their main responsibilities to deliver for the wider embassy/Japan network, such as through a corporate role. In addition, the jobholder will take on a crisis role and participate in related crisis preparedness activities.
- Good interpersonal and organisational skills to conduct duties effectively.
- IT skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to work on multiple ongoing tasks.
- Fluency in Japanese and business level English, or vice versa
- Level of language required: English - TOEIC 850; Japanese - JLPT N1
- Experience working in both English- and Japanese-speaking environments.
- Administrative experience, including diary, event and stakeholder contact management.
- Interest and knowledge in energy and climate change issues.
- 1 month salary bonus equivalents payable in June and December
(Note: Salary may be reduced due to tax status)
- Commuting allowance of up to JPY35,000 per month (paid on an actual cost basis)
- 25 days paid annual leave (calculated pro rata)
- Health Insurance and Employee pension (kenko hoken/kosei nenkin)
- Employment Insurance (koyou hoken).
Learning and Development Opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
- FCDO on-line learning courses
- Embassy learning and development fund available for bids for non-job specific training
The British Embassy offers comprehensive learning and development opportunities that will be fully available to the jobholder. We regularly run both work area specific training, as well as more general skills development in project management, finance, and leadership. Each year the job holder will be encouraged to use five development days to pursue job related and personal development goals.
All staff are required to take a role in the embassy’s crisis preparation and response. Full training will be provided for this, and regular opportunities will be available to test and develop your skills.
The British Embassy, Tokyo supports and promotes flexible working as a crucial part of our inclusive offering. This particular role allows for flexibility in start and end times, working compressed hours, working remotely for one day a week, and the possibility of a job share arrangement, subject to agreement with management.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
This opportunity is closed to applications.