View Vacancy - Estates and Security Officer - (45/22 CPT)
Main purpose of job:
The British High Commission to South Africa oversees the UK Government’s operations in South Africa across the following locations:
Its Estates and Security Teams, based largely in Pretoria with some staff in the locations above, are responsible for delivering property and security services to support the work of the Mission.
The Estates and Security Officer will work under the supervision of an Estates Manager and Security Manager and will help manage security and estates work at British High Commission’s Offices and properties in the Cape Town area. The Officer will also support security services for British Consulate Cape Town staff and Diplomatic families, and for UK Government visitors to Cape Town.
On the Estates side, the position will effectively act as a facilities manager for the Consulate office, a number of residential properties and the British High Commissioner to South Africa’s Official Residence in Cape Town.
On the Security side, the position will take on a role to provide accurate security advice and support to diplomatic families, staff and official visitors, to review security risks and implement mitigating measures to these risks, and to oversee works and installations. It also includes supporting and planning for high level visits and engagement with relevant security departments.
The role requires an individual who can work flexibly across multiple, and sometimes competing, priorities and who can demonstrate high standards of professionalism and deliver a very high quality customer service. The jobholder will need to be willing to work flexibly to help others, including responsiveness out of normal work hours and at anti-social times occasionally, contribute to Estates and Security work covering all British High Commission locations and staff throughout South Africa, take on different tasks where work pressures are heavy, cover leave absences and deal with emergencies. This can involve calls and work dealing with customers and contractors in the evenings and weekends, for which a mobile phone is provided.
Whilst the role is based in Cape Town, the jobholder will be part of Estates and Security teams covering all of South Africa and will therefore need to work remotely to these other locations on a range of admin tasks. The individual will likely need to travel to Pretoria occasionally (funded fully by the British High Commission).
The Estates and Security Officer plays a crucial role in:
Preparing our residential properties for occupation by our staff, which requires forward-planning, attention to detail and strong organisational and time-management skills
Dealing with on-going maintenance issues in offices and residential properties, requiring skills in administration, IT and multi-tasking numerous concurrent activities
Providing a professional service to our office staff and occupants of residential properties, for which a thorough understanding of customer service and good communications skills are essential
Managing the work of contractors which are engaged to deliver property and security services, maintenance and other security works, which requires planning and strong communication skills.
The role is ideally suited to an individual who:
Enjoys managing an operation and who takes pride in it running smoothly and without complaint.
Has strong administrative skills, is a good planner, has lots of initiative and wants to develop experience in estates-related work, finance, security work and running projects
Is a good communicator and people-person, who takes pride in good service and enjoys working in a busy team, yet can work proactively and with drive independently.
It is essential for the jobholder to have a valid driving licence as driving (in a company vehicle) to sites is required.
Experience of facilities management / property management or working in a security services delivery team would be a bonus though having the skills and qualities outlined above are the key attributes for the successful jobholder.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
Full training is provided to the successful applicant for all job-related skills. The British High Commission also offers a huge range of learning and development opportunities, including financial support through study grants.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Pretoria are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in South Africa.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs for relocation
- The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles. Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
This opportunity is closed to applications.