View Vacancy - Personal and Team Assistant – Global & Economic Issues (DEU22.550) MATL cover
The British Government in Germany is based at the British Embassy in Berlin and our consulates in Dusseldorf and Munich. We are part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. Currently, we are looking for an Personal and Team Assistant – Global & Economic Issues (Maternity Cover).
Why should you apply?
Are you interested in international relations? Would you like to make an impact in a fast-moving, high-profile environment?
You will play a key role working at the heart of one of the Global & Economic Issues Section, with around 16 staff based at the Embassy in Berlin, with colleagues also working in Düsseldorf and Munich. The team aims to support sustained economic growth in both the UK and Germany through diplomatic engagement in the following areas: energy & climate, economics & finance, science & innovation, social policy, G7 & G20 and European issues.
We are looking for a Personal and Team Assistant to support us in achieving these goals, by providing administrative support to the Counsellor, Global & Economic Issues, and the wider team:
- As personal assistant to the Counsellor, you will be responsible for the coordination of her engagements as well as the organisation her programmes and briefing
- As team assistant, you will help ensure the smooth running of the DIT Germany team, including supporting on team activities, projects and senior visits
- You will also have the opportunity to contribute to and benefit from the Network’s corporate activity and goals
In this role, you will be working closely across and with multiple teams across the Embassy and Consulates. As such, it is important that you have the ability to juggle competing tasks and be highly organised.
You will need to develop effective relationships with colleagues across the Network, including the office of the Ambassador and other senior leaders, as well as with offices of key stakeholders in Germany and the UK. This will require excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with senior contacts.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Manage Counsellor's diary, including scheduling of all internal and external meetings and appointments
- Coordinate the preparation of briefing papers and presentations for Counsellor’s external meetings and speaking engagements, ensuring smooth coordination with other team members and Network colleagues
- Organise visit programmes and transport arrangements for the Counsellor in Germany and in the UK, including VIP and senior visits
- Manage English and German written correspondence and telephone enquiries and provide administrative support on behalf of Counsellor, including arranging team meetings and video conferences
- Manage the Counsellor and Team’s expenses and travel budget
- Support the Counsellor and teams on special projects, some of which will be led by the jobholder
- Provide administrative support to the team, including setting up meetings, drafting and circulating meeting agendas and recording minutes
- Provide support to the Counsellor, including with management of the DIT Germany budget
- With colleagues, provide general office management for the team in Berlin
- Any other duties that may reasonably be required in support of the wider work of the Embassy (including crisis response) and in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job
- Other duties which may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job
Our ideal candidate shows:
- Excellent oral and written English and German (to at least level C1 CEFR*)
- Proven experience in a similar role, i.e. administration, project management support and/or supporting a senior leader or busy teams
- Strong team player with excellent communication skills
- Strong organisational and delivery skills and experience managing projects
- Familiarity with the German and UK business environments
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop professional relationships across all levels
- Good time management and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks
- Ability to work well on own initiative, under pressure and to juggle multiple priorities effectively
- Proficient user of applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel
It will be a plus:
- Budget management experience
- Familiarity with social media and drafting
- Interest in international business, trade promotion, investment and global trade policy
-This is a full-time, temporary position of 37.5 hours per week to cover maternity leave. We expect the position to be available for 16 months; however the period could be longer or shorter depending on the current job holder maternity leave dates.
- Our Learning & Development environment: The British Government Germany Network has a strong ethos of Learning & Development, including our Learning & Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities for support, including mentoring, coaching, job shadowing and secondments and dedicated L& D days. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all staff.
- The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of Consulate General, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany Network and supporting a positive working environment.
- The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
- Staff recruited locally by the Consulate General are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
- Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Government Germany Network will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.