View Vacancy - Business Development Manager, Invest Northern Ireland (Toronto Based)
Main purpose of job:
Invest Northern Ireland (Invest NI) (www.investni.com) is the Northern Ireland government’s principal business development agency. As part of the Department for the Economy (DfE), Invest NI has responsibility for supporting the growth of the Northern Ireland economy through the development of its businesses locally and internationally, bringing greater economic benefit and prosperity to this region of the UK.
The recently released “10X Economy” by DfE sets out the overall vision for the future of Northern Ireland’s economy. Achieving the vision requires a new approach to trade and investment which has been outlined in “Trade and Investment for a 10X Economy”. At its core our ambition is to harness trade and investment as a catalyst for inclusive, green growth in Northern Ireland to support our economic transformation over the next decade. We want to use trade and investment as a key driver to increase wealth, prosperity and living standards in Northern Ireland.
Invest NI’s international offices and overseas representatives are responsible for supporting Northern Ireland companies in developing business opportunities overseas, increasing export sales and developing collaborations. They are also responsible for marketing and promoting Northern Ireland as an inward investment location.
Invest NI currently has a presence in North America and is seeking to expand its operations in Canada. Invest NI is now looking to appoint a Business Development Manager for Canada. Reporting to Invest NI’s Regional Director for Canada, this newly created post will be based in the British Consulate General Toronto to focus on trade and export development work. The post-holder will help the Regional Director in key target business sectors such as Life Sciences and Healthcare, Heavy Equipment, Aerospace, or Technology identify and develop business opportunities. When carrying out their work, the post-holder will be required to forge effective working relationships with a wide range of Northern Ireland and Canadian companies, stakeholders, including the UK’s Department for International Trade (DIT), Chambers of Commerce, industry bodies, and local councils in Northern Ireland.
A large part of the role will include undertaking research, conduct desk based business development work to identify sales opportunities, provide market access advice to new market entrants to assist the Regional Director formulate a strategy to export to Canada for companies. As well as one to one support for Northern Ireland businesses, the post-holder will work with the Regional Director to organize and support activities such as marketing events and conferences, represent Invest Northern Ireland at business conferences, arrange meetings for clients, manage logistics plans (including Trade missions, VIP visits, and senior official visits from Northern Ireland), maintain data on the internal CRM system and prepare activity reports which summarize information and work progress in Canada.
The post-holder will also work with the Regional Director and the wider team on promotional initiatives including social media campaigns.
The post-holder will be required to undertake travel from time to time, either within Canada, to the US and the UK.
Roles and responsibilities:
The key deliverables of the post-holder include the number of business introductions made and business opportunities identified and referred to Northern Ireland companies in the key target markets, which lead to new export sales.
Trade & Export development
- Conduct strong and effective business development activities and proactively identify relevant business opportunities, throughout a range of sectors for Northern Ireland (NI) companies through market intelligence, connections and research;
- Support Northern Ireland companies interested in Canada by providing information required to make informed business decisions by handling market research and assessment enquiries, conducting visits, arranging business development meetings and writing appropriate reports. The post-holder will be able to leverage Invest NI’s appointed Trade Advisory Support providers in Canada in the delivery of support services to NI client companies and in relation to sector relevant market research;
- Identify and articulate specific business opportunities to colleagues in Northern Ireland, and work with NI companies to help them respond to these opportunities;
- Identify and attend sector trade exhibitions and conferences, deliver in-market physical events and virtual webinars, arrange and attend client and customer meetings to promote industry excellence and highlight key market opportunities for NI companies;
- Work with colleagues in Northern Ireland to deliver visit programmes for NI companies, providing added value for participating companies by introducing them to your network of contacts and setting up 1-2-1 meetings for them while in market.
Effective Relationship Management
- Build strategic relationships with targeted companies, stakeholders and influencers in the region and enable Northern Ireland companies to engage with them;
- Develop close working relationships in Canada with other partners including Department for International Trade (DIT), British Chamber of Commerce and other in-market industry trade bodies who can add value to Invest NI’s work with Northern Ireland companies in-market and, as appropriate, work on joint planning and delivery of events;
- Work effectively and in partnership with wider teams based in Northern Ireland, the Americas and other locations.
Database Management, VIP visits and Others
- Work with the Regional Director to produce data driven insights from market intelligence to scope and explore new opportunities for Northern Ireland companies;
- Manage relevant information sources and maintain accurate recording of customer and stakeholder information on Invest NI’s CRM and management systems
- Work with Invest NI internal teams on the development and delivery of the marketing and communication strategy for Canada.
- Support the Regional Director and other internal teams in coordinating and arranging VIP visit programmes to Canada, including Ministerial visits. This includes preparing briefing and managing the necessary logistics and protocols.
- Support the Invest NI’s diaspora initiative and facilitate the work of the Northern Irish Connections (NI Connections, www.niconnections.com) in Canada.
- The post-holder is not required to manage staff.
- The post-holder will be required to deliver events within a pre-allocated budget and act within Invest Northern Ireland policies and guidelines.
- The post-holder will be required to engage actively and regularly with the Americas team and other Invest Northern Ireland offices.
- This is a full time position.
- The post-holder will be based in the British Consulate General (BCG) Toronto. They will be required to comply with BCG’s internal policies including working pattern / working model.
- In order to carry out their work, from time to time the post-holder will be required to travel within Canada, to the US, UK / Northern Ireland to meet with business contacts, work colleagues and stakeholders. They will also be required to work outside the normal working hours occasionally, in order to attend conference calls (e.g. due to time difference with Norther Ireland), to attend expos and networking events.
Essential on arrival:
- Educated to degree level ideally in a business or related function;
- Over 3 years’ working experience with a good understanding of the key business sectors in Canada;
- A sound commercial knowledge of Canada, and on practical issues relating to exporting to Canada and the solutions.
- Successful track record in business development work, including undertaking market research, analyzing market data, preparing reports, presenting information, identifying business opportunities and helping clients to achieve positive commercial outcomes;
- Good networking skills, experience in building and maintaining effective working relationships across all levels of businesses;
- Ability to work at pace; and to prioritize and manage a sometimes heavy workload whilst liaising with team members in various locations; and
- Strong IT computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office, Internet and Social Media;
- Highly proficient in both spoken and written English.
Level of language required: Excellent
Must have the legal status to live and work in Canada.
- Knowledge of Northern Ireland’s key business sectors and business drivers.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following sectors: Life Sciences and Healthcare, Heavy Equipment, Aerospace, or Technology.
Learning and development opportunities:
Induction training will be provided at an agreed location such as Invest NI Head office in Belfast or one of the Regional Offices in the US.
The post-holder will be able to access L&D opportunities afforded by the British Consulate General in Toronto. In addition, Invest NI will work with the post-holder and support his / her personal development in line with internal Invest NI policies.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and enriching learning and development opportunities.
This opportunity is closed to applications.