View Vacancy - Visits & Events Internship (CHEG22.598)
The United Kingdom Mission to the United Nations (UN), World Trade Organisation (WTO) and other organisations in Geneva represents the interests and policies of the UK across a range of multilateral issues. The UK Mission works with the full spectrum of multilateral organisations/agencies in Geneva on issues including human rights, global health, trade & economic issues, humanitarian and more.
Our team is now recruiting a Visits and Events intern.
Why you should apply?
This internship offers a unique opportunity to gain professional experience in organising and delivering a wide range of events for the Ambassador and wider Mission, as well as working on official visits.
Events are a core part of our diplomatic tradecraft: we use them to build relationships and deliver on UK priorities. If successful, you will become an expert in diplomatic protocol. We also encourage our interns to come forward with creative ideas so that we can diversify the types of events we host. For example, last year for International Women’s Day our intern was involved in organising a Speed Mentoring Event for young women.
This interesting, challenging and fast-paced experience will provide the chance to work with a wide range of Mission colleagues, deal with a variety of tasks and activities, and in partnership with internal and external stakeholders while being at the centre of a busy multilateral Mission and learning from senior diplomats.
Currently, we are offering an internship of 6 months with potential to extend to 11 months, in a friendly and supportive environment.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be involved in all aspects of such events from preparing guest lists and invitations to on-the-day support. You will work on everything from small dinners to our flagship event – the King’s Birthday Party with a guest list of up to 800 people.
- Liaise with external contacts and suppliers
- Prepare guest lists and invitations
- Manage the event guest list using the events app, handle RSVPs and other queries from contacts and invitees
- Act as a point of contact to the wider Mission team regarding event planning, providing information or escalating queries or concerns for action as necessary
- Welcome high-level guests at the Ambassador’s Residence
- Prepare official written communication
- Support the organisation of the Mission’s King’s Birthday Party celebration
- Carry out post-event follow up and contribute to strategic projects, such as tracking and summarising event statistics
Official Visits Support
- Support the preparation and coordination of official visits, including general logistics and protocol
- Book meeting rooms, restaurants or hotels for the visitor(s)
- Update the hospitality guidelines, contact lists and other databases
The job description is subject to change and may evolve over time and in response to changing circumstances. The role exists as part of a team and all staff are expected to be flexible in supporting colleagues, particularly at busy times.
Our ideal candidate shows:
- Fluent written and spoken English (C1* level according to the CEFR)
- Intermediate level of French (B1* level according to the CEFR) as a minimum requirement
- Good MS Office skills
- Motivation: a strong interest in Communications, Events Management, Business Administration, Hospitality or a related field
- Good time management skills and ability to perform to deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Good communication and organisation skills
- Ability to deal confidently and professionally with colleagues and contacts at all levels of seniority
- Flexibility and personal resilience
- Ability to multitask
It will be a plus:
- Qualified or currently undertaking studies in Communications, Events Management, Business Administration, Hospitality or a related field
- Experience in organising events or any work experience in this area is also a big plus
- Experience in Customer Facing roles, incl. Hospitality industry experience
This Internship will be for a period of 6 months with potential to extend to 11 months.
The UK Mission will offer the intern a monthly training allowance of 1,450 CHF. Please note that interns will need to arrange and pay for their own travel and accommodation, as well as any other living costs and are subject to Swiss taxes.
Working hours: Monday to Friday 0900-1730 is standard, but the nature of events and visits means that sometimes evenings are required. Advance notice will always be given.
Where applicable, we encourage successful applicants (if from Europe or the UK) to obtain an Insurance Card (EHIC or GHIC) prior to entering Switzerland.
The Mission offers a contribution to the payment of travel insurance for the duration of internship, in place of Private Swiss Health Insurance that includes health & accident cover for all interns.
The final appointment and commencement of internship will be dependent upon successful security clearance.
Interviews will be held remotely (TEAMS). Also please be advised that the UK Mission will not be able to support any cost during the Recruitment and Selection process, Security Check nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Switzerland and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
United Kingdom, European Union and EFTA nationals do not require visa sponsorship along with Nationals of: Brunei Darussalam, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Principality of Andorra, Principality of Monaco, San Marino, Singapore and Vatican.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.