View Vacancy - Pro Consul, Rome (ITA22.604)
The British Embassy in Rome is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are seeking a dynamic and customer-oriented 2 x Pro Consul to lead and deliver first class customer service, through the provision of consular assistance and services to resident and visiting British nationals in Italy.
The successful applicant will:
- Work as part of a high performing team delivering first class consular assistance and support to resident and visiting British people across the Italy network
- Build and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, in order to support British nationals in times of difficulty
- Support the Consul and colleagues in the Italy and Europe network to deliver against our strategic objectives
Why should you apply?
The role requires a dynamic, well organised person with a passion for customer service, strong communication and problem solving skills as well as an ability to take quick and effective decisions under pressure.
You will join a supportive, diverse team with a culture of continuous improvement. We work as one team across Italian network, and value a diverse range of skills and backgrounds. Consular Assistance is a challenging and very rewarding job. Our work is constantly evolving providing us with exciting opportunities.
Accessible learning and development (L&D) opportunities, including specific Consular Training.
This is a fixed-term position for 12 months with the possibility of contract extension depending on performance and available funding.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Provide consular assistance to British nationals in Italy in line with Consular guidance, whilst ensuring family members in the UK are also informed and supported
- Conduct visits to vulnerable British nationals which may include to prisons, courts, hospitals, morgues.
- Work with colleagues at post and FCDO UK to ensure a joined up approach to high profile cases ensuring internal stakeholders are fully informed
- Provide notarial and documentary services
- Responsibility for auditable official documents as well as occasional financial transactions
- Flexibility covering office roles during absence including issuance of Emergency Travel Documents
- Occasional out of hours work as national duty officer or responding to a crisis situation
- Possibility to provide resilience and support to other posts across the Europe network
- Identify and escalate trends and issues to support prevention initiatives, collaborating closely with colleagues across the Italy and European network on projects, campaigns and media messaging
- Identify services available from local organisations and professionals to make it easier for British nationals to obtain help
- Maintain a high level of preparedness in order to respond effectively to local crises involving British people
- Participate in local crisis planning and exercising as part of a mission-wide effort
- Collaborate with emergency service agencies and possible deployment in the event of a crisis involving British people
- Support contingency planning for large-scale events likely to attract significant numbers of British visitors
- Identify and help to develop a network of mutually beneficial relationships with internal colleagues, local authorities, travel and tourist industry, British community groups, and the NGO sector
- Liaise and collaborate with local authorities to understand local policies, procedures and how they impact on British nationals and our services Proactive engagement to solve issues and reduce negative impact
Our ideal candidate shows:
- Language skills English and Italian C1 under the CEFR level or above/equivalent
- Previous experience in a customer facing role and ability to respond to a wide range of customer needs
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- Good communication and problem solving skills
- Strong and flexible team player
- Excellent time management; ability to work under occasional periods of high stress
- Resilience and resistance to trauma, ability to cope with the challenging nature of consular work
- Excellent IT skills and knowledge of Microsoft systems
It will be a plus:
- Previous Consular experience
- Knowledge of Italian government structures and processes
- Experience in responding to crisis situations and/or crisis training
This job will be based in Rome.
This is a full-time temporary position with a contract of 12 months with potential option of permanent contract at the end of the first year.
The monthly gross salary is Euro 2.312,00. The salary is paid monthly 14 times per year including € 10.33 EDR paid 13 times per year, with double salary payments in June and December. If working less than a full calendar year, the additional salary payments will be pro-rata.
Working hours are 35 hrs per week Monday to Friday typically from 09.00 – 17.00, with some flexibility.
The starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and this will be agreed with the selected candidate.
The appointment is subject to security clearance, professional background check and the successful completion of a four month probationary period.
All staff employed by the British Embassy are subject to Italian income tax (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Italian employment law.
Visa/work permit requirements: candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Italy and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please be advised that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline” and it is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please also be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
**Please note, Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.