View Vacancy - Personal Assistant to HM Ambassador A2, Berne (CHEB18.780)
The British Embassy in Berne is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Personal Assistant to Her Majesty’s Ambassador.
The PA to the Ambassador plays a key role in the Embassy, supporting the Ambassador in her leadership of the team and external impact with a wide range of stakeholders, including in government and business.
This is a very busy and high pressure job, with a range of competing demands. The successful applicant will need to be able to work and take decisions without detailed oversight, and juggle priorities effectively.
The PA to the Ambassador sits at the heart of the Embassy, and needs to have effective links with all teams, as well as high impact with senior external contacts. Confidence, judgement, language skills and teamwork are essential.
Because most correspondence and papers are produced electronically, good knowledge of IT and how to use it to best effect is essential. There is scope for the PA to also support the wider Embassy programme to make better use of our IT.
The PA will need to take the lead on and coordinate a large number of events, from small lunches to big receptions. Some experience of hospitality or similar organisational work would be useful.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Organise the Ambassador’s diary, calls and visiting programmes. Arrange travel, internal and external meetings (including agendas and action points) and reply to invitations. Liaise with other Embassy sections
- Manage the Ambassador’s office, including tracking emails, correspondence, filing and keeping the database up-to-date. Effective management of digital information.
- Arrange events in the Residence and externally.
- Coordinate with the Residence Manager; compile guest lists and issue invitations. Manage the Embassy’s top contacts map, and organise proactive outreach. Co-ordinate between Embassy teams and the Residence, and support in person as necessary.
- Plan and deliver the annual Queen’s Birthday Party for 500 guests:
- Support the Embassy’s policy team on visit programmes, events, liaison with UK government departments, policy papers.
- Oral and written fluency in English and German.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a Personal Assistant and/or Office management.
- Experience in engaging with external and senior stakeholders.
- Valid Swiss permit.
- Strong organisational skills, including an ability to deliver high quality work to deadlines.
- Effective communication skills for the telephone, correspondence and face-to-face contact.
- An interest in working collaboratively to develop the strong relationship between the United Kingdom and Switzerland.
- Proven IT competence with the full range of Microsoft Office software and other standard office technology.
- Competent IT experience would be an asset.
This is a permanent full-time contract for 5 working days per week.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background and security clearance.
The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation for Switzerland in order to apply.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Switzerland.
Please be advised that the Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
This opportunity is closed to applications.