View Vacancy - Procurement Officer, Madrid (ESP18.770)
The British Embassy in Madrid is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now recruiting for a Procurement Officer. This position reports to the Corporate Services Finance and Procurement Manager in the British Embassy to procure goods and services for the Spain Network, working with the FCO’s Commercial Procurement Group in London and Europe Procurement Hub in Vilnius to draw up purchase orders and contracts, and also with the Global Transaction Processing Centre in Milton Keynes to manage Spain network invoice processing. The job will also share general administrative duties within the Corporate Services Team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To procure goods and services up to £25,000 for the Spain network in accordance with the UK (25% of time)
To support the FCO’s Commercial Procurement Group and Europe Procurement Hub in the procurement of goods and services over £25,000 for the Spain network in accordance with the UK Government’s rules and processes, seeking best value for money, and subsequently ensuring correct electronic recording of received goods and services (15% of time)
To manage the network financial and procurement mailbox and lead on incoming requests like invoice processing, supplier creation and maintenance including the office Agreed Supplier List, purchase orders and related tasks; and Estates related procurement including landlords supplier creation, rental, utilities and community payments (40% of time)
To support contract management at post, monitoring renewal timelines and compliance with terms including data protection (15% of time)
Other general administration duties especially during absences to guarantee Corporate Services team resilience (5% of time)
- Excellent communication and customer service skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in Spain, the UK and Lithuania, and with suppliers;
- High level of personal organization with attention to detail, strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work at pace and prioritise, managing an often heavy workload;
- Polished IT skills (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel);
- Proactive, open to new ideas, willing to work independently and meet deadlines
- degree in procurement/ 2 years working experience in Procurement
- Experience and/or qualification in procurement (knowledge of EU procurement regulations would be an advantage)
- Experience in office accounting using corporate ERP systems (e.g. Oracle)
- Negotiating and influencing skills as well as a strong focus on customer service
- Excellent telephone skills
This is a full-time permanent position of 5 working days (37.5 hours per week).
The successful candidate will be subject to a confirmation of a background check and security clearance.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Spanish Social Security Scheme and will therefore not be entitled to any gratuity from the Embassy / Consulate based on gross annual salary.
The British Embassy is a Diplomatic Mission with tax exempt status and does not collect taxes for other States. Employees are fully responsible for payment of Spanish income tax at the legally required rate. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Spain are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Spanish employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
All applicants must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Spain and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
This opportunity is closed to applications.