View Vacancy - AUH - Entry Clearance Officer (temporary contract) B3(L)
The British Embassy Abu Dhabi has vacancies for Entry Clearance Officers (ECO) on temporary contracts starting March 2019.
These are fixed term contracts for an initial period of six (6) months in response to seasonal demand. There is the possibility of extension and/ or renewal of the contract depending on performance and operational requirements.
The objective of this role is to provide high quality, efficient, and non-discriminatory visa application processing which meets published standards and to provide all customers with a firm, fast and fair service.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Assess and resolve visa applications within agreed benchmarks. You must be able to analyse information and reach a decision quickly and be able to justify this decision both orally and in writing. Entry Clearance Officers are expected to meet challenging daily workload targets.
- Ensure that all correspondence is considered and reports or replies prepared within target times in clear and concise English.
- Deal professionally with all callers to the Visa Section, whether on the telephone or in person, ensuring that people are treated fairly and responding sensitively to differences.
Key competencies required:
- Making Effective Decisions - Using sound judgement, evidence, and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice and evaluating options before arriving at well-reasoned justifiable decisions. Creating evidence-based strategies, evaluating options, impacts, risks and solutions, and aiming to maximise return while minimising risk and balancing social, political, financial, economic and environmental considerations to provide sustainable outcomes.
- Delivering at Pace - Focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. Working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
- Leading and Communicating - Leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction, and enthusiasm. Managing and engaging with people with honesty and integrity, and upholding the reputation of the organisation.
- Managing a Quality Service - Being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements. Planning, organising, and managing time and activities to deliver a high quality and efficient service.
Employment of successful candidates will only be confirmed following the successful completion of the Entry Clearance Officer training course. This is a pass/ fail examined course and candidates must be available to attend once the course date is confirmed.
The ideal candidates should also possess the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- A proven track record of working quickly and reliably with little supervision and meeting challenging targets on a daily basis.
- Capable of making quick decisions in accordance with set rules and able to show that these decisions are fair and just on all occasions.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a target driven environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Fluent in English.
- Candidates who have already completed and passed the Entry Clearance Officer course and who have recent experience of ECO work are highly desirable.
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including: 25 days of annual leave per annum, on-site parking and on-site swimming pool, gymnasium, and sports facilities.
Salary is at AED 13,296 per month.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Standard working hours are from 07:30 to 14:30 from Sunday to Thursday. However, there may be a requirement for working on Saturday with a compensatory day off during the week. There is also a requirement for working a late shift, which is currently 10:00 to 17:00, for one week in every eight.
- Applicants must already hold or be able to obtain an appropriate level of UK Security Clearance, and be able to obtain a valid UAE police clearance certificate. Higher clearances can be granted only to certain nationalities. For this reason, candidates must be of British, American, Australian, Canadian, or New Zealand nationality in order to gain and maintain the level of clearance required.
- Applicants must be available in a full-time capacity. These are not part time positions.
- Applications will only be considered to those who are currently residing in the UAE.
- Applications are invited from eligible candidates who complete the core competency form providing evidence of how they meet the competencies.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must attach the following documents along with their online application form:
- A covering letter.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Your application must also include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter or in the Motivation section of the application form. Applications that do not include this information will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 23:55 (local time) on 12 January 2019.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only those shortlisted for the next step of the recruitment process will be contacted.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months. The successful candidate must be able to obtain a valid UK security clearance to the required level.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
The British Embassy Abu Dhabi is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce, and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.