View Vacancy - SH - Outreach Team Co-ordinator B3(L)
Main purpose of job:
To help implement the British Government’s Outreach Strategy in East China. To act as the Outreach Team’s day-to-day central co-ordination point for Consulate colleagues and external stakeholders. This important co-ordination role, based in the British Consulate General Shanghai, offers a unique opportunity to build knowledge, develop contacts and sector expertise, in order to mutually support the UK and China objectives, across Zhejiang, Jiangsu and Anhui Province.
The Outreach Network in China is critical in support of the new chapter in the Golden era between UK and China. Therefore, the jobholder will contribute positively to the two countries’ bilateral relationship; more specifically, s/he will support our Outreach network’s operational objectives of Prosperity, Partnerships and Engagement.
Working directly with the Head of Outreach Team in East China, the job holder will help to implement our Outreach strategy and assist to maintain strong relationships, across all three Provinces, with local government departments, especially Foreign Affairs Office, Bureau of Commerce, and Development & Reform Commission as well as other relevant stakeholders. S/he will, therefore, need to be someone capable of managing a large amount of information and competing priorities/tasks. There will be opportunities to accompany Head of Outreach on visits to Provincial cities.
The successful candidate will need initiative, strong interpersonal skills and perseverance to deliver results. Fluency and confidence in verbal and written English is essential. In return, you can expect to: be part of a truly innovative diplomatic network; and build a wide range of skills, experience and knowledge of specific sectors, such as advanced manufacturing, education, science & innovation, healthcare, infrastructure and green energy. You will be involved in supporting inward/outward visits both from UK officials and Chinese provincial leaders.
This position is advertised on a fixed-term basis for one (1) year, subject for renewal.
Roles and responsibilities:
Support Outreach Team
- Lead on collating monthly returns / metric information on all three Provinces.
- Maintain statistics and information on all three Provinces (as part of the effort to increase Outreach’s visibility).
- Support the delivery of different types of high level visits. Provide timely and effect visit support; work together with colleagues in delivering impactful visit programmes.
- Help Outreach team members in maintaining an up to date record of key contacts, organisations and businesses in Zhejiang, Jiangsu and Anhui.
- Support new and established UK-China City-City partnerships in delivering concrete win-win outcomes.
Commercial Diplomacy / Prosperity
- Co-ordinate between our Outreach team and UK Department of International Trade colleagues in identifying and developing commercial opportunities for UK businesses, government agencies, educational and research institutions, exploring synergies between commercial opportunities and our teams’ objectives.
- Keep an overview of the UK’s Prosperity Fund activities in East China, coordinating between regional, policy and commercial stakeholders.
- Work closely with internal colleagues and external stakeholders in co-ordinating and administrating projects in areas with UK expertise.
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English and a native Mandarin speaker
- Relevant Bachelor's degree or above
- Has initiative, strong interpersonal skills and perseverance to deliver results
- Proven liaison or coordination experiences and ability to provide administrative support
- Project management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft applications
- Work experience in Business Development and/or Account Management roles within an international or Chinese organisation.
- Experience in working with Chinese government.
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, performance related bonus scheme, good leave entitlement and insurance plan, etc. The gross starting salary for this position before all deductions is RMB 17, 670 per month for Chinese nationals and an abated monthly salary of RMB 24, 529 per month for British Nationals and spouses/partners of all nationalities of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22 day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website: https://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General Shanghai are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
All applications must be received before 23:55 China Standard Time on 16 January 2019.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
The successful candidate should be able to start as soon as possible.
Please check the application centre regularly for any update on your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.