View Vacancy - Personal Assistant/Receptionist (01/19 ANT)
Main purpose of job:
To support the day-to-day operation of the Embassy and to manage professionally the diaries of the Ambassador (HMA) and the Deputy Head of Mission (DHM).
To be the Personal Assistant to Her Majesty’s Ambassador (HMA) and Deputy Head of Mission (DHM) in Madagascar. The British Embassy in Antananarivo is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas.
The successful applicant will professionally manage the HMA and DHM diaries and Embassy correspondence. They will also support the day-to-day operations of the Embassy and be the first point of contact for customers. As a result, teamwork and language skills are necessary. A good knowledge of IT and how to use it to best effect is also essential.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Ensuring effective diary management of HMA and DHM. This will involve:
- Liaison with high-profile contacts
- Managing HMA’s correspondence (meetings, VTC, teleconferences)
- Travel arrangements
- Assist DHM with her diary and appointments.
Any other Secretary and Administrative support :
- Receptionist duties: managing mail (internal and external including emails) and phone calls
- Delivering a customer-focused frontline answering service
- Maintaining the office filing system ensuring registration and weeding of all documents according to guidelines (e.g. letters, Note Verbal, contact details)
- Dealing with official correspondence with local authorities. Organising management meetings and taking minutes
- Managing stationery and other office supplies
- Translating documents as necessary
- Any other tasks as assigned
- Organising programmes, transport and accommodation for official visitors.
- Coordinating Embassy events Working with the Residence Manager and Corporate Services Officer to deliver events
- Dealing with contractors where necessary
- Issuing invitations
Consular Back up:
- Dealing effectively and efficiently with the Embassy’s Consular services in the absence of the Consular Assistant. This will include:
- Dealing with straightforward assistance cases
- Dealing with written and telephone enquiries
- Processing applications for Emergency Travel Documents
- Taking part in the Embassy emergency planning and crisis response.
- 1+ years of relevant work experience (to include working with the public).
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Good organisational skills and the ability to work efficiently and accurately under pressure.
- Computer literacy in all Microsoft Office Packages and a strong understanding of IT systems
- Ability to handle personal issues/information and deal with staff and clients in a friendly and sensitive manner.
- Confidentiality and impartiality
- A team player capable of working on their initiative and who is adaptable to changing priorities
- Commitment to develop professional administrative skills and expertise
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Antananarivo are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Malagasy employment law.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Note: Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.
This opportunity is closed to applications.