View Vacancy - DXB - Pro Consul A2(L)
The British Embassy Dubai has a vacancy for a Pro Consul.
The successful candidate will have the ability to deliver a professional and efficient Consular service to British Nationals in Dubai and Northern Emirates.
The main purpose of the role, reporting to the Vice Consuls, is to ensure that British Nationals receive a professional, high quality service and advice provided is accurate, timely and consistent, and offered in a sensitive manner in line with FCO guidance. This will include developing and maintaining contacts with local authorities and in the community, providing notarial and documentary services, and taking part in our communications and prevention work.
In response to local or regional crisis, the job holder will play a key role in the section’s response and deployment.
The successful candidate will need to be a self-starter, highly motivated and have excellent interpersonal and office management skills.
Main duties and responsibilities:
– Provide professional and efficient Consular service
- Provide accurate advice and assistance in a sensitive manner to British Nationals (BNs) and their families via face to face (pre-arranged meetings/ walk-ins), telephone or email on a range of issues such as: detainees, including visiting police stations and prisons; hospitalisations; dealing with bereaved families; child custody issues; missing persons; mental health; other sensitive cases such as rape, child abduction, forced marriage.
- Maintain accurate and concise case records of services provided (CASEBOOK/ BRIDGE).
- Ensure all customer correspondence are replied to in a timely and efficient way, providing consistent, accurate information in accordance with FCO guidelines.
- Be prepared to work out of hours, occasionally anti-social hours, as required.
- Take part in the Embassy emergency planning and any response to a crisis affecting UK citizens.
- Administering the appointment system.
- Providing a range of counter services including notarial work and Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs), ensuring consistent customer service to BNs.
- Collecting fees, cashing up, and other financial requirement.
- Ensure deadlines for Returns and Management Information are met.
– Prevention Communications and Outreach
- Working with the Vice Consul to help deliver high quality local prevention and communications work, working closely with the Post's Press/ Communications Team and other senior stakeholders. Producing materials, using social media and attending events.
- Monitor changes in local procedures and practices, ensuring that all information and guidance for BNs reflects changes and is up to date, e.g., service providers, lawyers list, travel advice, web pages.
– Other duties
- Carry out other reasonable ad-hoc duties in support of the Consular function.
- Participate in other Embassy committees and support corporate activities as appropriate.
Key competencies required:
- Delivering at Pace – Focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. Working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
- Making Effective Decisions – Using sound judgement, evidence, and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice. Showing clarity of thought, setting priorities, analysing, and using evidence to evaluate options before arriving at well-reasoned justifiable decisions.
- Managing a Quality Service – Being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements. Effectively planning, organising, and managing time and activities to deliver a high quality and efficient service, applying programme and project management approaches to support service delivery.
- Changing and Improving – Being responsive, innovative, and seeking out opportunities to create effective change. Being open to change, suggesting ideas for improvements to the way things are done and working in “smarter”, more focused ways.
- Consular work can sometimes be stressful and of a sensitive nature. The successful applicant will therefore be expected to maintain absolute consular confidentiality and impartiality.
- Excellent customer care skills and the ability to respond to a range of customers’ needs.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- A team player who is capable of working on their initiative and who is adaptable to changing priorities. Must be able to work and act without close supervision.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- IT literate, well versed in Microsoft Office applications and with accurate typing skills.
- Arabic language skills
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including: 25 days of annual leave per annum, on-site parking and on-site swimming pool, gymnasium, and sports facilities.
Salary is at AED 11,108 per month.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Standard working hours are from 07:30 to 15:06, including a lunch break of 36 minutes, from Sunday to Thursday.
The successful candidate should be flexible in their approach to hours worked as there may be some work out of hours and occasionally anti-social hours required. Candidates must also be available for occasional travel within the Gulf region (and possibly further afield) for training and logistical purposes.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must attach the following documents along with their online application form:
- A covering letter.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Your application must also include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter or in the Motivation section of the application form. Applications that do not include this information will not be considered.
The closing date for applications is at 11:55 PM UAE local time on 13 January 2019.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only those shortlisted for the next stage of the application process will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances, medical clearance and reference checks.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.