View Vacancy - Science and Innovation Network (SIN) Officer, Berlin B3 (DEU607)
The British Embassy in Berlin is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Science and Innovation Network (SIN) officer.
For the duration of the UK negotiations to leave the EU, the main purpose of the job is to build and develop bilateral relationships between Germany and UK Ministries, academic institutions and organisations with an interest in science and innovation. Working closely with SIN colleagues at BE Paris, scope and support UK-DE-FR engagement around S&I, including after Brexit. Provide information and insight into German reactions to UK science related exit objectives.
The successful candidate will also contribute to ongoing UK economic growth and a strong post-negotiation bilateral relationship by initiating mutually beneficial science and innovation collaboration between the UK and Germany.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- In the context of Brexit, understand and interpret key German stakeholder positions on the future of science collaboration to ensure SIN/BEIS/DExEU and other UK stakeholders have the data to engage and influence negotiations.
- Monitor and respond to developments in science and innovation policies and programmes in Germany. Provide timely and concise reports on key developments to UK government departments and other stakeholders.
- Support Ministerial and senior official visits to Germany relating to bilateral science and innovation issues.
- Support regional thematic leads on the development and delivery of projects involving Germany.
Trilateral UK-DE-FR collaboration in science and innovation
- Develop, deliver and contribute to a programme of projects, visits, events and other activities aimed at scoping and facilitating UK-DE-FR collaboration in science and innovation. Support Regional Manager and engage country officers in Germany and in France as necessary to aid delivery, ensure compliance and timely reporting.
- Develop a wide range of contacts in government, business, universities and public research organisations in the UK and Germany to support SIN DACH team overarching objectives.
- Support the wider work in the Embassy including providing surge capacity and engaging in corporate activities.
- University degree.
- Project management experience.
- Previous experience in science and innovation sector.
- Experience in engaging with external stakeholders.
- Basic knowledge of UK and German research and innovation systems.
- A self-starter, with the ability to organise self and work effectively.
- Strong team-working and networking skills.
- Fluent oral and written English and German.
- Good oral and written French.
- Strong intercultural skills
- Flexibility to travel domestically, and internationally
This is a full-time position of five working days, 37.5 hours per week, for a fixed term contract of 2 years.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Germany. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorization for Germany in order to apply. The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits.
Staff recruited by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to German employment law.
The British Embassy has a strong ethos of Learning and Development, including our Learning and Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all British Embassy staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the British Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the Embassy’s positive working environment.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview (including Security Check), nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed
This opportunity is closed to applications.