View Vacancy - Prosperity and Sustainable Economic Development Officer C4 (06/19 MPT) - AU
Main purpose of job:
To drive forward the High Commission’s work on prosperity, working across government to identify and take forward opportunities to grow our partnership with Mozambique. To focus on key sectors (including agriculture, renewables and financial services) to remove barriers and boost trade and investment, job creation and skills development, resulting in mutual prosperity benefits for the UK and Mozambique.
Roles and responsibilities:
A key role sitting at the heart of HMG’s new approach to Africa, the jobholder will be expected to drive and co-ordinate efforts to deliver on cross-government prosperity objectives. The successful candidate will:
- Lead on identifying and analysing market access barriers and other constraints to trade and investment in key sectors, and explore with government of Mozambique officials, HMG colleagues at post, regionally and in the UK and the private sector ways to reduce or remove them.
- Identify ways in which the UK can work with the Government of Mozambique (GoM) to deliver on their economic and industrial priorities, through development finance, technical assistance and private sector support.
- Work with the Departments for International Development (DfID) and Trade (DIT), private sector and others to develop and deliver a UK strategy on agriculture, which aligns to GoM priorities.
- Develop a narrative on the mutual benefits of the UK-Mozambique prosperity partnership, Global Britain and UK comparative advantages. Deliver targeted influencing, advocacy and comms activities, reinforcing the UK’s position as a partner of choice.
- Support delivery of HMG’s work on climate change through advising on potential prosperity linkages, for instance with regards to opportunities presented by renewable energy, science and innovation, research opportunities etc., as well as identifying possible risks and mitigation measures.
- Advise on links between HMG’s prosperity work and other pillars of the new strategic approach to Africa, particularly demography and security
- Oversee management of programmes that support High Commission prosperity objectives; proactively identify opportunities to leverage future programme funding.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
1 x B3L Prosperity Officer
- Familiarity with economics and trade issues
- English and Portuguese
- BA degree
- Experience of the private sector and/or working in government
- Programme management experience
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
The British High Commission places a lot of value on supporting the development of its staff, and you will be encouraged to participate in L&D training and get involved in corporate activities. As well as successful completion of relevant online learning for the role, the successful candidate will be required to complete an introductory training course in the first three months of the job. There are also opportunities to job shadow at other British missions in the region.
Some working from home or flexible hours would be possible. The successful candidate may be required to travel in line with the demands of the job.
- Please complete the application form in full. Failure to do so may result in a determination that you do not meet the requirements for the position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Maputo are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Mozambique.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Mozambique with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Mozambique will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate.
- Check your application before you submit, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.
This opportunity is closed to applications.