View Vacancy - Researcher - IEI
The British Embassy in Amman is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of Researcher - IEI, Grade – A2 (L).
Purpose of the job:
The British Embassy Amman is part of a world-wide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas as is now looking for a researcher to provide flexible support, investigative skills and cultural advice to the Immigration Enforcement International network in Jordan.
Immigration Enforcement International is a law enforcement agency within the UK Home Office, whose responsibility it is to tackle organised immigration crime and prevent illegal migration.
The post-holder will assist delivery on specific projects on Organised Immigration Crime and facilitate bilateral cooperation with key partners within host law enforcement and judicial agencies. The post-holder will be required to develop a clear strategic knowledge of the threat from Organised Immigration Crime in Jordan and the bordering countries in order to provide practical support to the ILOs, manage records and analyse data.
Please note, for the avoidance of doubt, that this is a law enforcement and not a resettlement role.
- Liaise with partners across government within the British Embassy Amman general mission staff and foreign law enforcement liaison officers across the Levant region.
- Undertake analysis, research and development on intelligence received from UK home office, airlines and hosts on immigration crime.
- Maintain databases.
- Financial/budgetary and travel planning and accounting.
- Submit reports on programmes, including ad hoc, monthly, interim, quarterly, annual and end-of-project reports.
- Act as a translator / interpreter. Fluent written and spoken Arabic is essential.
Key Competencies and Required Skills:
- Making Effective Decisions - Being objective; using sound judgement, evidence, and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice and evaluating options before arriving at well-reasoned justifiable decisions. Creating evidence based strategies, evaluating options, impacts, risks and solutions; aiming to maximise return while minimising risk and balancing social, political, financial, economic and environmental considerations to provide sustainable outcomes.
- Delivering at Pace - Focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. Working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way, and providing the focus and energy to drive activities forward through others and encourage staff to perform effectively during challenging and changing times.
- Leading and Communicating - Leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction, and enthusiasm, and managing and engaging with people with honesty and integrity. Managing and engaging with people with honesty and integrity, and upholding the reputation of the organisation.
- Seeing the Big Picture - Having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs. Focusing your contribution on the activities, which will meet the organisation’s goals and deliver the greatest value. Scanning the political context and taking account of wider impacts to develop long-term implementation strategies that maximise opportunities to add value to the citizen and support economic, sustainable growth.
- Work effectively with international partners, representing the Home Office and the British Embassy Amman professionally and developing effective partnership with the wider Embassy and with key external partners.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills in English is essential. The ability to speak Arabic is equally as essential.
- Ability to write reports and briefings.
- Presentation skills.
- Strong organisational and time management skills.
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Access PowerPoint.
- Promote continuous learning; communicates clearly.
- Plan work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility.
- Display awareness of relevant technological solutions.
- Able to gain security clearance before employment commences and maintain throughout period of employment
- Hold permission to live and work in Jordan. IEI will not sponsor any visa or work permit application.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The position is full-time, at 37 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances.
Pay is on the Embassy A2 (L) scale, with a salary of JOD 1119 per month. The package includes a good level of health insurance and a friendly, English-speaking work environment. We offer opportunities to develop professional skills through our Learning & Development offer. Leave entitlement is 25 days (on pro rata basis) plus 14 public holidays.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as you will:
- Receive the appropriate level of standard security clearance;
- Valid work permit will be required for non-Jordanians before they can start work. Candidate's work permit and the expense to obtain them will be their own responsibility.
- Candidates should be without any conviction/warrant/outstanding commitment for military service that would prevent free travel.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online:
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Please provide examples of performance in each competency on the motivation section of the online application form.
- A covering letter stating why you feel you have the necessary skills to perform well in the above role.
** (Applications that do not include the above stated information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 23rd October 2019.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications, we receive only those shortlisted for interview/assessment will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local labour law.
The British Embassy Amman is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.