View Vacancy - Corporate Services Assistant AO (01/22 NMY)
Main purpose of job:
The British Embassy in Niamey is part of a worldwide network representing British political, economic, development and consular interests overseas. The UK has been present in Niger since 2004, when we first opened an office in Niamey. In September 2020, the new British Embassy welcomed its first resident Ambassador and we are currently in the process of establishing a new Embassy building. Our aim is for the UK to become an energetic presence in the region, working together with the European Union, United Nations, International Financial Institutions and other partners to help support Niger’s development and stability.
Providing an efficient and effective Corporate Services platform for the Embassy is essential for the Ambassador and Embassy team to meet UK objectives in Niger. You will work with the Corporate Services Manager to effectively manage the Embassy’s estates and transport pool and provide on the ground support for the new Embassy / Residence build project. You will also provide administrative support for Corporate Services and the wider Embassy as required. You will be required to build effective relationships with suppliers, ensuring the UK Embassy obtains high-quality and value for money services across the Corporate Services portfolio.
You will work with a variety of FCDO colleagues on the corporate portfolio, based at the corporate Hub in Pretoria and Estates colleagues in London. You will support these colleagues virtually and on visits to Niamey, providing on the ground context and expertise to inform the new Embassy build project and wider management of the estate.
This is an exciting opportunity to support the new UK Embassy to set up its permanent platform in Niger. You can expect to work closely with the Deputy Head of Mission and the wider Embassy team to achieve the Embassy’s corporate objectives. As the new Embassy opens, there will be opportunity to take on new responsibilities such as management of Residence staff.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Lead on implementation of a health and safety work plan in coordination with the regional technical Works Officer and in compliance with the FCDO Health and Safety Framework.
- Support the Corporate Services Manager in on the ground assistance to the new Embassy/ Residence build project i.e. checking works, liaising with local providers, customs clearances. Lead on day-to-day Embassy assistance to the build project.
- Support the Corporate Services Manager in implementation of the estates maintenance programme and day-to-day management of the estate in compliance with FCDO guidance.
Finance and Commercial
- Support the Corporate Services Manager in procurement of goods and services using FCDO guidance and meeting UK standards.
- Provide support for accountancy services and finance in the absence of the Corporate Services Manager.
- Lead on transport pool management to ensure maintenance of vehicles and thorough records of vehicle checks and usage.
Wider Embassy Support:
- Provide administrative support as and when required to the wider British Embassy team, which could include assisting with events and visits.
- As a full member of the embassy team, the post holder will also make a wider contribution to making the Embassy a friendly and supportive environment to work in. Where necessary, the post holder must be ready to support any other Embassy business (e.g. emergency consular, political or corporate work).
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- Management of office and Residential properties, under supervision of CSM
- Management of transport pool (5 vehicles)
- In absence of CSM, administrative management of Embassy budget, under supervision of the Head/ Deputy Head of Mission
- Advanced English (spoken and written) and Fluent French (spoken and written)
- Degree level education
- Excellent organisation skills
- Advanced IT proficiency including Excel and Word; capacity to become proficient in FCDO specific IT programmes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A can-do attitude and strong team work skills
- 2+ years related experience (i.e. administrative support, estates management, budget management, construction)
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
BE Niamey has a strong learning culture and there will be broad opportunities for on-the-job learning, including covering for colleagues and involvement in wider Embassy work. Formal learning opportunities could include:
- Opportunities to attend job-specific courses i.e. H&S management, financial / budget management, project management etc
- Opportunities to develop English-language skills
- Shadowing/ mentoring with colleagues across the network
- Attendance at regional courses/ conferences with other corporate colleagues
This role will largely be office based, with regular visits to new Embassy site and residential properties. As such, regular home working will not be possible but can be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The starting monthly salary is fixed at 889,734 XOF gross per month including 20% guaranteed allowances (non-taxable) as well as payment of a 13th month salary and potential non-consolidated performance bonuses.
- The Embassy deducts the income tax and CNSS contribution at source and pay them on behalf of the employee. These are calculated according to the provisions set by the Niger CNSS and Tax Inspectorate.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Niamey are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Niger.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles
- Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
This opportunity is closed to applications.