View Vacancy - Pro Consul, Part Time
Main purpose of job:
The British Consulate-General in New York has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and detail-oriented person to join our busy Consular Team as Pro Consul. Reporting to the Vice Consul in New York, but with occasional travel across the region, the successful applicant will play a key role in front-line service delivery, stakeholder management and prevention activities, as well as making an effective contribution to the wider Consular regional team.
The main purpose of the role is to provide consular assistance to British nationals in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Fairfield County in Connecticut, in accordance with current guidelines. You will lead on Emergency Travel Document service delivery, maintaining close relationships with key stakeholders. You will provide support and advice to our citizens, including speaking with/visiting British nationals in prison/hospital, providing advice and assistance to homeless persons and those suffering from mental health issues, providing support to family members following bereavement, child abductions or custody matters, providing advice and assistance to victims of crime including rape or sexual assault victims. You will also play a key role in the Consulate’s crisis preparedness and response.
This opportunity is a rewarding role, which supports and further develops the special relationship between the UK and the US, working on the frontline providing consular assistance to distressed British nationals.
The US Network offers a unique career enhancing opportunity and is committed to supporting its staff through a variety of benefits including generous leave, insurance packages and a highly competitive 401k programme. It also promotes a culture of flexibility which enables people to better maintain wellness through an excellent work/life balance approach that encompasses hybrid working, including working from home and flexible hours, where possible. In this role, you would be working in a diverse international environment side-by-side with UK diplomats, armed forces personnel and other country based staff operating across the British Government’s network of Consulates and Government Offices in the United States.
The ideal candidate will be a resilient team player, with sound judgement, strong attention to detail and the ability to juggle competing priorities under pressure. They will have strong communication skills, both written and oral. They will have an understanding of working for Government and a background in supporting distressed customers.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Printing Emergency Travel Documents, managing appointments and troubleshooting any issues.
- Providing consular assistance in accordance with current guidelines, including visiting British nationals in hospital or in jail, providing support to family members following bereavement, a child abduction or custody matter, and providing advice and assistance following a rape or sexual assault.
- Maintaining case files on the corporate database and managing them to a satisfactory conclusion.
- Liaising with US authorities, members of the public and their legal representatives, airlines and tour operators, and British Government Departments in order to achieve strategic goals.
- Implementing an effective outreach strategy for the consular district and reporting budget expenditure.
- Participate in post’s crisis preparedness and response activities.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Essential on arrival:
- The successful candidate must have 3+ years of forward-facing customer service experience (preferably to include previous consular or Government experience.)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability to communicate at all levels.
- Ability to handle sensitive consular cases and distressed customers in a calm, professional manner, managing expectations and seeking further guidance where appropriate.
- Superior problem solving skills, sound judgement, attention to detail and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to prioritise, effectively manage, and execute multiple tasks at once.
- A good knowledge of multi-cultural Britain, its language, and geography.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and use of online databases.
The successful candidate will travel to London to attend a Consular training course for one full week within the first 3 months of employment.
The British Embassy and its US Network is committed to all employee’s ongoing learning and development needs. We offer a comprehensive platform for personalised learning for everything from soft skill development (communicating with impact, handling difficult conversations, time management) to more technical or professional skills necessary to complete your job (software training, formal qualifications etc.)
This role is part-time (20 hours a week), to be spread over 5 mornings a week, 4 hours each day. Specific working hours to be agreed with line manager.
Due to the operational constraints of the role, the position is 100% office-based and the successful applicant must be able to commit to working in the New York office 5 days a week.
This opportunity is closed to applications.