View Vacancy - Project Assistant, Strategy and Delivery Unit
The Strategy and Delivery unit of the Development and Humanitarian team based at the British Embassy in Amman is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of Project Assistant, Grade – EO.
Main Purpose of the job:
This is an opportunity to work for the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) within British Embassy Amman as it implements its new UK-Jordan Country Business Plan. The candidate will join the Strategy and Delivery Unit. The post requires commitment to work with others inside and outside the Embassy to maximise returns on UK investments and coordinate with partners. The successful candidate will be confident working at pace and multi-tasking to respond to changing priorities. This role will provide opportunities to engage with programme delivery and management and to build commercial capabilities within the Embassy. The role will also provide the candidate with opportunities to develop communications skills and take an active role in developing high impact comms on development priorities across the Embassy.
Cross-Embassy Project Assistant Support
- Work closely with programme managers across the Embassy to engage with delivery partners, arrange visits and troubleshoot issues.
- Develop a strong understanding of the Programme Operating Framework and provide advice and support to programme management teams on issues and approaches.
- Support programme teams to develop and implement high quality strategic and assurance mechanisms including on risk, fraud, safeguarding and value for money.
- Support teams to develop and maintain a robust and uniform approach to managing information and making it available to the wider office.
- Develop programme management skills through learning, shadowing and doing programme management to be able to deploy across teams to support managing programmes during periods of stretch.
- Track key activities to ensure that teams are delivering Embassy action plans and strategies and are embedded strategic priorities into programmes. Support teams to deliver against the British Embassy Amman Country Plan.
Provide Executive Assistant Support to the Development Director and Deputy Development Director:
- Proactively manage diaries, balancing priorities and commitments to ensure the most critical work is delivered and high-level meetings have appropriate representation.
- Set up external meetings and arrange transportation as required.
- Book the travel and hospitality requirements for the Development Director and Deputy Development Director as needed.
- Own our recruitment and vacancy lists across the team, ensuring that gaps are identified, recruitment progresses and new members of staff are onboarded with high quality inductions.
- Ensure that the team meets its central reporting requirements for performance management, building capacity and flagging risks to senior managers.
- Coordinate development related communications including by working across teams to ensure we are aware of upcoming opportunities and deadlines. Work with teams to develop strong communications approaches to take advantage of opportunities.
Development Communications Support across the Embassy:
- Manage the communication activity of development objectives, including tracking announcements, supporting the development of comms products and identifying opportunities to deliver key development messages.
- Ensure decisions made by the Development Director and Deputy Development Director are communicated to appropriate internal and external audiences. Track and support the implementation of decisions.
Cabinet Support across the Embassy:
- Act as the point person for the cross-Embassy Country Board, scheduling meetings and ensuring minutes are recorded and actions are circulated.
- Follow up on the delivery of actions agreed at the Country Board, working with teams, troubleshooting issues and driving forward the delivery of critical actions between Board meetings.
- Take a leading role in setting the agenda for Country Boards, working across teams to propose high impact agendas that will deliver BE Amman priorities.
- Ensure the wider Embassy governance structure functions effectively with key meetings taking place prior to Country Board meetings and key issues escalated.
- Quality assure Country Board papers and cover notes ensuring they effectively communicate the decisions that need to be made.
Develop and use commercial acumen to support good contracting and ensure value for money:
- Attend Procurement Officer training and work closely with experienced Procurement Officers to build your capability.
- Lead low value procurements by working closely with programme teams to understand their needs, offer commercial advice and complete all contract documents.
- Advise programme teams to consider their procurement approaches in both programme design and implementation, ensuring our approach delivers programme objectives and delivers maximum value for money.
Support Corporate Priorities across the Embassy:
- Act as the IT Champion across the office, building skills to understand how systems work and working with Headquarters on rolling out and upskilling staff on new IT systems.
- Ensure the development teams have appropriate equipment, functioning rooms and troubleshoot issues. Ensure there are adequate resources for teams to deliver (e.g. IT hardware, stationary).
- Take part in at least one BE Amman People Strand to ensure the Embassy continues to be an excellent place to work and develop.
Resources Managed (staff and expenditure):
- Making Effective Decisions - Use evidence and knowledge to support accurate, expert decisions and advice. Carefully consider alternative options, implications and risks of decisions.
- Working together - Form effective partnerships and relationships with people both internally and externally, from a range of diverse backgrounds, sharing information, resources and support.
- Managing a Quality Service - Deliver service objectives with professional excellence, expertise and efficiency, taking account of diverse customer needs.
- Delivering at Pace - Take responsibility for delivering timely and quality results with focus and drive.
- Fluent communication skills in English and Arabic (both spoken and written, C1 advanced level).
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Experience managing diaries and delivering priorities for senior staff.
- Strong organisation skills and ability to manage competing priorities and organise high profile external activities.
- Ability to build strong, respectful and collaborative working relationships with stakeholders within and beyond HMG, including those with different cultural backgrounds and opinions.
- Literacy in Microsoft Office packages (Excel, Word, Outlook, Microsoft Teams and PowerPoint).
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Two years programme management experience in a relevant field.
- Experience developing policies and supporting internal governance structures to reach decisions.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage a complex and varied workload sometimes to tight deadlines.
- A network of contacts across Jordan and good experience building and maintaining relationships with donors and partners.
- Experience in drafting reports and briefs for an international audience.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The position is full-time, at 37 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances.
Pay is on the Embassy EO scale, with a salary of JOD 1613 per month. Please note that your salary will be paid gross and you are expected to comply with your tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the local authorities. If exceptionally you are not liable to pay Jordanian tax, you will receive a net salary which is minus the deduction of an equivalent level of local tax. Further information on this will be given to candidates at interview if necessary.
This position is offered on a Full Time, Permanent contract basis.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90-days probationary period (as appropriate). The selected candidate will have the right to live and work in Jordan.
The package includes a good level of health insurance and a friendly, English-speaking work environment. Leave entitlement is 25 days (on pro rata basis) plus 14 public holidays.
There will be learning and development opportunities under the 70 – 20 – 10 model and candidates will be encouraged to seek opportunities to strengthen programme management, procurement and communication skills.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as:
- Receive the appropriate level of standard security clearance;
- Have the right to live and work in Jordan.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- A covering letter/statement of suitability including behaviours and experience required.
** (Applications that do not include the above stated information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 11 August 2022.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications, we receive only those shortlisted for interview or assessment will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local labour law.
The British Embassy Amman is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.