View Vacancy - Trade and Investment Officer, Technology
Main purpose of job:
Be a part of the Department for International Trade’s mission to drive more trade and investment between North America and the UK. With a mature, high-spending consumer market and an open, liberal economy, world-class talent and a business-friendly regulatory environment, the UK is the leading destination for foreign investment in Europe, the second highest investment destination in the world, and the world’s sixth largest exporter and the second largest services exporter.
Based in San Francisco the Trade & Investment Officer for technology will proactively identify opportunities in the US for market ready UK companies to achieve new business, and work with companies seeking to launch into, or expand in, the UK market. You will be part of the North America technology team providing key account management within the region in addition to providing strategic advice and assistance to companies. You will also be a valued contributor to the San Francisco based regional team, and work closely with colleagues based around the UK.
The US Network offers a unique career enhancing opportunity and is committed to supporting its staff through a variety of benefits including generous leave, insurance packages and a highly competitive 401k programme. It also promotes a culture of flexibility to enable people to better maintain wellness through an excellent work/life balance approach that encompasses hybrid working, including working from home and flexible hours, where possible.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Provide a comprehensive account management service to key US clients in the technology industry (including software, emerging technologies, ) looking to maintain or grow their footprint in the UK.
- Successfully build and manage a pipeline of knowledge-driven projects that have the potential to bring high-value jobs and R&D to the UK.
- Assist high-growth and innovative UK companies to develop US market entry strategies and/or grow US market share; and support established UK companies in market to address any concerns around US trade policy or market access barriers.
- Forge positive relationships with US and UK business leaders, trade associations, and other key buyers/partners within the technology sector.
- Develop and implement high impact, targeted marketing programs and events in conjunction with stakeholder partners to build our brand awareness, promote key messaging, and showcase UK competitiveness in technology.
- Keep pace with market trends, incentives and centres of excellence in North America and the UK to identify commercial opportunities and provide informed advice to clients.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to deliver high-impact programming, including developing and hosting round tables, seminars and trade missions, and contributing to Ministerial and other VIP visit programs.
- Assist with cross-team projects to advance UK economic and trade policy goals.
- Manage one business development associate.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Events and travel budgets
Essential on arrival:
- Professional experience, gained within a business development or economic development role, ideally in a related sector.
- In-depth knowledge of one or more key industries or technologies: AI; Cyber and Trust Architecture; Internet of Things; Telecoms; Next Generation Computing
- knowledge of market trends in the US and preferably in the UK
- Excellent stakeholder management abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and networking skills
- Excellent management and collaboration skills with the ability to deliver results
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- An excellent network of industry contacts and the ability to develop new networks with senior business and industry leaders
- Must be able to attend events outside of office hours and undertake travel in the US and internationally up to 20% of your time.
- An understanding of international relations and UK Government policy preferred.
As a valued member of our team, we will help you to achieve your goals through continuous professional development.
Learning and development opportunities:
The British Embassy and its US Network is committed to all employee’s ongoing learning and development needs. We actively encourage learning & development, and will develop a specific plan in collaboration with the successful candidate.
This role is 40 hours a week.
The British Embassy and its US Network embraces hybrid working, allowing its staff to typically work from home 2 or 3 times a week. We are an organization that also recognises the critical value of team work and we embrace and endorse collaboration by ensuring that all staff attend the office flexibly yet regularly.
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work. • A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas
About the Department for International Trade
We employ over 150 people across North America, all united by our vision of a future where we champion open and fair global trading that drives growth, creates better jobs and higher wages, and improves living standards in the UK and around the world. We seek talented team members with a passion and drive to help us promote exports to North America of British goods and services, two-way investment between the UK and North America, and mutual improved market access to help grow our bilateral trade (see www.gov.uk/DIT).
This opportunity is closed to applications.