View Vacancy - Senior Congressional Advisor
The British Embassy is looking for a dynamic and driven individual to join our political team as the Senior Congressional Advisor. The successful applicant will oversee the three person congressional team and direct the Embassy’s work with Congress, ensuring that we have the right contacts, in the right places and that we understand how developments on the Hill might affect British interests. This is a fast paced job which is ideally suited to an ambitious and motivated individual.
The successful applicant will be a self-starter who is proactive in building networks (although the ideal candidate will join us with established contacts on the Hill) and will be committed to delivering results – including overcoming obstacles where necessary.
The job offers unparalleled levels of access to senior stakeholders in the British government from the Prime Minister down and includes daily interaction with the Ambassador. It also leads on building the relationship between the British parliament and Congress. The successful applicant will need to be confident around senior stakeholders and to be a credible interlocutor for our senior contacts in the American political system.
The role will require someone who can work across the Embassy, supporting and advising numerous teams whose business means they need to be plugged into Congress (from trade relations, to energy and even issues such as Northern Ireland). They will see opportunity in collaboration with others, will think creatively and will be a natural networker.
The Congressional team sits within the Embassy’s Political Team: the job holder will play a key role in reporting on the 2018 midterm elections. They will need to have a good grasp of US politics and the different dynamics at play.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Draw up and lead on the delivery of a Congressional Engagement Plan for the Embassy (and our wider US network of posts) to ensure that we are talking to the right people to achieve delivery of the UK’s priorities in the US.
- Coordinate Congressional meetings for the Ambassador, senior Embassy officials and visiting Cabinet Ministers;
- Manage a three person Congressional Unit ensuring suitable support and development opportunities to all members of the team;
- Ensure that staff across the Embassy fully understand the role that Congress plays in policy making and how to ensure that British views are heard during that process, including facilitating theright relationships to make that happen;
- Support the Political Team in identifying and building relationships with rising congressional stars and contribute to political reporting and advice to senior British stakeholders in areas of interest to the UK;
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree required.
- At least five years recent congressional experience including and understanding of both the House and the Senate.
- Able to represent the Embassy at external meetings and win the confidence of senior US and UK officials and other stakeholders.
- At least one year of experience in managing and getting the best out of a team. Ability to work independently and a proven track record of showing initiative, flexibility and delivering results.
- Excellent oral communicating and drafting skills and an ability to explain complicated policy issues in a succinct manner for a non specialist audience in the UK
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
The salary for this position is $80,080 annualized. Salary will be confirmed upon offer of employment. Individuals who are not US taxpaying citizens will be paid a net salary based on a simulated US tax status.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local US employment law.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by 23 March 2017. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must address their line manager before submitting their application.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.