View Vacancy - Communications Intern (AUT21.154)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
The British Embassy in Vienna is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a Communications Intern.
The Communications Team is responsible for the public facing components of the Embassy’s work, including bilateral and multilateral priorities. The team works on a wide array of issues from media relations and foreign policy to special events and digital outreach.
The intern supports the Communications team in all aspects of the job, including but not limited to: social media content generation; media monitoring, German/English translations; press database updates; photo/video coverage of events (when possible).
We expect you to have a positive attitude and to be eager to learn. You will bring a different voice and perspective to our team: that is valuable to us and we expect you to be confident in expressing your ideas. You will have access to the full range of learning and development opportunities available to Embassy staff.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Assist Social Media Manager with content creation for Embassy social media channels, with a particular focus on Instagram;
- Assist with media and social media monitoring;
- Research and database management for the Communications Team;
- General logistics and admin support for the Communications Team;
- Opportunities to attend external meetings.
- Fluency in English and German (both oral and written, minimum C1 level*);
- Background in communications, graphic design, or journalism;
- Sense of initiative and a problem-solving attitude;
- Great attention to detail;
- Creative thinking;
- Commitment to team work and a positive attitude;
- Good interpersonal & communication skills;
- Social media management skills: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter;
- Basic photo and video editing skills on a mobile phone;
- Good IT skills (Word, PowerPoint).
- Some knowledge of UK politics and British culture would be desirable.
This is a local staff position in the British Embassy Vienna; it is not a diplomatic designated position. The position is subject to the terms and conditions of British Embassy employees.
This is a full-time (35 hours per week) internship for 6 months. Working hours are flexible and staff are entitled to time-off-in-lieu for extra hours worked. The annual leave entitlement is 25 days per year pro rata and the Embassy also enjoys 14 Austrian / UK public holidays per year and we are committed to ensuring a work / life balance.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they are legally able to work in Austria. The Embassy is not able to assist with any visa or sponsorship arrangements.
The monthly salary will be €1,500 gross. Please note that UK nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Austrian (UK) tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process. All other nationals will receive paid their salary minus social insurance deductions and are expected to comply with Austrian tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Austrian authorities.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions service according to Austrian employment law.
Visa / Passport requirements:
Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Austria and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.