View Vacancy - Senior Policy Adviser - International Appointments
The UK Mission to the United Nations (UKMIS) in New York is looking for a Senior Policy Adviser for International Appointments to lead on multiple projects within UKMIS including providing policy advice to senior UK officials within the network while engaging with senior UN officials. This position is a full-time assignment with some flexibility over exact working arrangements (i.e. working from home and some travel).
Senior Policy Adviser in the Management Reform and Finance Team at the UK Mission to the UN in New York will lead efforts in New York, working closely with colleagues in New York, London and Geneva, to enhance British representation and overall gender balance at senior levels in the United Nations.
Main purpose of the job:
- To lead on the development of a strategy for increasing British representation and overall gender balance at senior levels across international organisations providing policy advice, both written and oral, to senior British officials accordingly.
- To lead and help secure enhanced British representation and gender balance at a senior level across international organisations, working with senior UK officials.
- To build, engage and maintain a network of contacts, ‘alumni’ and candidates relating to Senior International Appointments.
- To build and maintain a network of contacts at senior levels within the UN and other international organisations.
- To act as the focal point and advocate for UK candidates at all levels, but particularly at the Director level and above.
- To help shape the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s policy towards the use of and identifying secondment opportunities for British government staff into international organisations.
- To deliver Mission-wide objectives, for example, by leading programmes for senior visitors during the UN General Assembly High-Level week and by serving on staff committees.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Formulation of an overall strategy, for presentation to senior Whitehall officials, for increasing the representation of British nationals and gender balance at the senior levels of international organisations in North America.
- Creation of a knowledge plan to researching and report on the advertising and recruitment practices of all UN bodies based in New York.
- Maintaining and developing relationships with senior contact points in each of the human resources departments of the UN in New York.
- Establishing a robust system to identify job openings and to gather speedy information on appointments once they are made.
- Arranging activities and events to build a network of British Nationals in the UN system.
- Mapping out the appointments coming up in the next 12 to 18 months.
- Identifying UK priority positions.
- Identifying suitable candidates for vacancies in international organisations.
- Supporting visiting candidates/acting as an advocate for them.
- Maintaining a database site in conjunction with the International Organisations Department (IOD) in London.
- Supporting the promotion of British Nationals already working in the UN system at all levels.
- Researching secondment opportunities for British government staff in international organisations in North America.
- Monitoring and supporting the development on UN initiatives to increase women’s leadership in the UN, including any funded by the UK.
- Activities in support of Mission-wide objectives.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate their abilities in communicating, influencing, collaborating and partnering, taking effective decisions, managing a quality service and delivering at pace.
- Bachelors degree
- 3-5 years relevant work experience;
- Knowledge of the United Nations System;
- Excellent written and oral communication, particularly with senior staff;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Excellent networking ability with the ability to develop and maintain long-lasting relationships at all levels;
- Experience of work in a fast-paced, professional office environment.
- Flexible, resilient under pressure, and decisive, with a proven track record of delivering results to a high standard within tight deadlines;
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
The starting salary for this position is $56,888.
At the UK Mission to the UN, we strive to nurture a diverse workforce by promoting policies that emphasize fairness, transparency, creativity and a comfortable and safe working environment in which individual differences are respected and the contributions of all staff are recognized and valued. The Mission values honesty, integrity, professionalism, and teamwork. Treating all colleagues with respect is fundamental. We have a zero tolerance policy towards bullying, harassment and discrimination. We want staff to express themselves freely, to think creatively and to feel free to challenge policy perspectives constructively. The Mission supports the professional learning and development of all colleagues. The Mission’s leadership is committed to doing all it can to improve the work/life balance of its staff, and encourages flexible working when possible.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by Tuesday 22nd November 2016 through the online application site. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Mission. Internal candidates must address their resumes through their Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we can not guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The UK Mission is an equal opportunity employer,
dedicated to a diverse workforce.
This opportunity is closed to applications.