View Vacancy - Consular Officer ETD HUB (ESP19.449)
The British Consular Network in Spain is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Consular Officer ETD HUB.
The Emergency Travel Document (ETD) Centre processes applications and produces ETDs for British Nationals whose full validity passport has expired, been damaged, lost or stolen or is otherwise unavailable and need to travel urgently. The vast majority of these will have been online applicants and will not attend the Consulate.
Working in a busy team, your role will be to support your direct reports as the Emergency travel hub works through the thousands of applications for Emergency travel documents. (ETD’s) This will include:
- Checking documents and assessing applicant’s eligibility;
- Data inputting and processing applications;
- Liaising with customers, usually by email but some face-to-face contact;
- Interviewing some applicants by video link or occasionally face-to-face or by phone;
- Liaison with consular colleagues;
- Workflow Coordination and allocating cases;
You would also be required to lead on the more complicated applications, ensuring we meet our commitment to British nationals whilst ensuring both security and accuracy of documents.
You will be managing a team of assistants and you will be focused on their delivery and development.
Main Roles and Responsibilities:
- Checking, completing and printing Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs);
- Development of guidance and policy for global ETD issue;
- Liaison with customers on non-straightforward ETD applications (normally via video-link but could be face-to-face); decision making on if and when to issue ETDs. Liaison with other posts and couriers;
- Line management of team members at A1 grade;
- Fluency in English to C2 level (according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), verbal and written, with excellent communications skills;
- Customer service skills with 3 years’ experience minimum;
- Experience managing a team in a busy operation;
- Experience working in a hub or centralised operation;
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail;
- ETD processing experience;
- Fully IT literate;
- Knowledge or experience of working in consular services.
This is a full-time, temporary position of 6 months, working hours are 37.5 hrs per week. Shift rotation basis, varying work schedule each week Monday through to Sunday including unsociable hours and public holidays. The exact working hours and shifts will be laid down by the British Embassy in Madrid but the centre is open 24/7 and working patterns will reflect this.
The successful candidate is subject to a confirmation of a background check, security clearance and the successful completion of a probationary period.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Spanish Social Security Scheme and will therefore not be entitled to any gratuity from the Embassy based on gross annual salary.
The Embassy is a Diplomatic Mission with tax exempt status and does not collect taxes for other States. Employees are fully responsible for payment of Spanish income tax at the legally required rate. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Spain are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Spanish employment law.
Visa / passport requirements: must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Spain and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please be advised that Consular positions at the FCO entail dealing with casework in situations that may involve death, detention, rape, assault, post-mortems, prison visits and highly distressed customers. Candidates should therefore have a high level of resilience to trauma.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
FCO does not pay for travel related expense incurred in interviews (including Security Check) or accept any financial risk, including cancelation or reschedule costs. The FCO will not meet the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
This opportunity is closed to applications.