View Vacancy - Pro Consul (CHEB19.414) Part-time/full-time
The British Embassy in Berne is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a part-time Pro Consul
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic network and outreach event planning with external contacts and stakeholders (local authorities, NGOs etc.) including delivering presentations.
- Providing consular assistance across the full range of casework to British Nationals with special attention to vulnerable customers amongst which visiting prisoners, dealing with people in hospital, victims of crime, distressed British nationals etc. Liaising with London Special Advisors and local authorities.
- Influencing, lobbying and networking with all stakeholders on a relevant level, amongst which colloque partners, MFA, cantonal authorities, NGO’s and associations
- Regional travel and outreach is required
- Managing expectations of British Nationals to what assistance they can expect according to circumstances; signposting of British Nationals to the relevant information sources and creating awareness of their own responsibility.
- Handling consular correspondence, telephone enquiries, and counter enquiries and services
- Leading the consular section and team during leave and absence periods, effectively covering the Vice Consul
- Cashier duties (daily / weekly / monthly; exchange rate; weekly credit card fees sheet)
- Managing online appointments booking system
- Updating/maintaining the consular content on GOV.uk for Switzerland and Liechtenstein such as living in guides, prisoner pack, bereavement pack, informative notes in order to be able to signpost British Nationals to the relevant information; ensuring all information and lists provided are accurate and up to date
- Organise and update consular information (Consular/Crisis Contact list, GRC information, Consular Hub)
- Handling of incoming mail, including (death) notifications and Lost/stolen/recovered passports
- Printing and issuing Emergency Travel Documents, including working stock responsibilities
- Administering Service of Process
Outreach and prevention
- Identifying and implementing network/country specific prevention campaigns as laid down in the regional Business Plan; liaising with local stakeholders and defining strategy with VC (deliverables / campaign / outcome).
- Close collaboration with Embassy media team and the other regional missions in delivering a regional (DACH) prevention plan
Notarial work and documentary services
- Preparing paperwork for all fee-bearing services according to latest guidance
- Signing fee-bearing services where applicable
- Interviewing and issuing Affidavits
- Updating the consular elements of the Crisis Management Plan (CMP) and taking part in Post/Section crisis preparedness activities (CMP, Crisis Hub training; crisis exercises organised by partners)
- Assisting in Post preparation and response to large-scale events, responding to mass casualty incidents or crises (Crisis Field team officer and Deputy Consular Manager)
- Participate in relevant corporate structures 1) as part of corporate responsibilities and 2) as part of personal development
- To undertake other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job.
- Participate in delivering the DACH regional Business Plan as well as having strong interest in the Embassy Business Plan
- Having good awareness of the general Consular Strategy and work according the principles as set out in the strategy
- Expectation to contribute to working and best practise groups
- Language skills: excellent oral and written German & English;
- Good communication, interpersonal and team working skills
- Adaptability and a positive mindset towards change and working as part of a wider team
- Self motivated and able to work effectively and proactively without close supervision;
- IT skills, especially Office 365.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills.
- Customer service: previous experience in a customer facing role and ability to response to a wide range of customer needs
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility, resilience, patience, and the ability to deal with difficult situations, including the ability to work unsocial hours in an emergency or crisis.
- Ability to display a high level of discretion and responsibility.
- Knowledge of the Swiss administrative, justice & legal systems and social services
- Influencing and lobbying skills
- Experience in a similar role;
- Higher education;
- Minimum 5 years work experience
- French and italian speaking
This is a permanent part-time contract.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background and security clearance.
The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation for Switzerland in order to apply.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Switzerland
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.