View Vacancy - Assistant Chief of Staff
Main purpose of job:
The British Consulate General, New York is looking for a full time, execution-focussed Assistant Chief of Staff for the Office of the Consul General. This is a full time position covering our hours of operation, Monday to Friday 9:00-5:30pm with assistance with evening and weekend events as required. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to those outlined below. The successful candidate should be prepared to work flexibly across a range of areas and to cover for absent colleagues as required.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
• Provides general administrative support for the Chief of Staff in the development and implementation of the Consulate’s programs, policies, goals, and objectives as directed by the Consul General;
• Assists the Chief of Staff in the daily operations of the Consul General’s Private Office including: scheduling, correspondence and handling of phone calls;
• Assists in research and drafting of briefing materials for the Consul General and Chief of Staff;
• Tracks CG’s expenses, files expense reports, liaises with corporate services and finance department as necessary; assists with budget profiling;
• Coordinates travel arrangements for Consul General including booking flights, hotels and cars; works with Regional Teams and other offices to develop programmes for travel, including rosters of meetings, introductions and itineraries;
• Acts as the secondary point of contact for the Private Office issues in the absence of the Chief of Staff;
• Work on/support special events, receptions and ministerial visits;
• Performs other duties as assigned
- Good communication skills, eg, drafting correspondence.
- Good phone manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office programmes.
- Experience of booking travel preferred.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.ukinusa.fco.gov.uk. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas
Under US State Department requirements, the Mission may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Mission. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at
www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
- Experience working within a budget
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Individuals who are Green Card holders, UK/US dual citizens, and non US taxpaying citizens will be paid a net salary based on a simulated US tax status. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by 11 July 2017. Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis as required. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must inform their Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy and its Consulates are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.