View Vacancy - SH - Senior Outreach Officer - Zhejiang Province, C4(L)
The job holder is the British Government’s only representative based in Hangzhou. She/he has a crucial role working with local governments, businesses and civil society to deliver the UK’s objectives in Zhejiang Province. This is an exciting time to work in Zhejiang: the economy is growing rapidly and private enterprise is playing an increasing role. Zhejiang Province is an important strategic partner for the UK.
The job holder will be required to travel regularly throughout the Province, building strong relationships with local government departments, especially Foreign Affairs Office, Bureau of Commerce, and Development & Reform Commission. This position is also about increasing our knowledge of Zhejiang, liaising with government and businesses so that we can better understand local developments and how the UK can work with this important Province in mutual support of UK and China objectives.
An outstanding network of high-level government and business contacts is already in place in Zhejiang, and the job holder will be required to manage and build on these relationships, as well as maintain strong links with key UK stakeholders such as the Department for International Trade (DIT), various teams within the British Consulate in Shanghai, and many others. You will be involved in supporting inward/outward visits both from UK officials and Chinese provincial leaders. Therefore, some general administrative duties - setting up meetings, planning trip logistics, coordinating visits – will be necessary.
The successful candidate will need initiative, strong interpersonal skills and perseverance to deliver results. Fluency and confidence in verbal and written English is essential. In return, you can expect to: be part of a truly innovative diplomatic network; become the UK Government’s expert on Zhejiang; and build a wide range of skills, experience and knowledge of specific sectors, such as science & innovation, healthcare, infrastructure and green energy.
This position is advertised on a fixed-term basis for one (1) year, subject for renewal. The successful candidate will be required to live in Hangzhou and visit Shanghai on a monthly basis.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Network and Stakeholder Engagement
- Broaden and deepen the British Consulate-General’s network with key organisations and businesses in Zhejiang. In addition, build new networks; identify shared UK-China interests; and develop opportunities for engagement across a range of British Government’s areas of work.
- Support new and established UK-China City-City partnerships to deliver concrete win-win outcomes.
Commercial Diplomacy / Prosperity
- Work with UK Department of International Trade and other British Consulate colleagues to identify and develop commercial opportunities for UK businesses, government agencies, educational and research institutions, explore synergies between commercial opportunities and our teams’ objectives.
- Work closely with Consulate colleagues to raise awareness of opportunities for UK-Zhejiang collaboration with key stakeholders and support our teams to deliver projects in areas with UK expertise (particularly, but not exclusively, healthcare, infrastructure, green energy, education and science & innovation).
Visits and Events Management
- Plan and manage the delivery of different types of high level visits. Work with stakeholders to proactively identify and seek out new visit programme elements to make impactful visits. Provide timely, high-profile visit briefs.
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English and a native Mandarin speaker
- 2 -5 years related work experience
- Relevant Bachelor's degree or above
- Work experience in Business Development and/or Account Management roles within an international or Chinese organisation
- Business qualification (at Bachelor or Master degree level)
- Experience in working with Chinese government
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, performance related bonus scheme, good leave entitlement and insurance plan, etc. The gross starting salary for this position before all deductions is RMB 27, 396 per month for Chinese nationals and an abated monthly salary of RMB 35, 742 per month for British Nationals and spouses/partners of all nationalities of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22 day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website: https://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General Shanghai are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
All applications must be received before 23:55 China Standard Time on 18 February 2018.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
The successful candidate should be able to start as soon as possible.
Please check the application centre regularly for any update on your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.