View Vacancy - Senior Trade Advisor- Consumer & Retail
The British Embassy, Riyadh has a vacancy for a Senior Trade Advisor- Consumer and Retail, Grade C4 (L).
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is a new Department of State within the British Government. DIT has responsibility for the promotion of international trade overseas and works with UK based companies to ensure their success in international markets. DIT in Saudi Arabia has a network of three trade teams based in Riyadh, Jeddah and Al Khobar. The teams work closely together to deliver services to our customers.
The Trade & Investment team is part of the Department for International Trade (DIT), the UK Government’s trade and investment Ministry. The aim of DIT is to enhance the competitiveness of companies in the UK through overseas trade and investments; and attract a continuing high level of quality foreign direct investment into the UK. DIT has a network of three trade teams in Saudi Arabia (in Riyadh, Jeddah and Al Khobar) that work closely together to deliver services to our customers. The main purpose of the jobs advertised is to support UK companies that are seeking to develop their business through trade with Saudi Arabia in the Consumer and Retail sector, this includes developing the potential of e-commerce within the Kingdom.
The Senior Trade Advisor will lead the sector team and work on the development and implementation of a High Value Campaign strategy; and lead on generating UK commercial wins in priority sectors across the Kingdom.
The UK enjoys a world-class reputation for its quality and innovation-driven retail industry. However, in addition to its value as a global fashion, design and creative leader, the British retail sector also underpins both national and local economies through a remit encompassing high quality manufacturing, technology, e-commerce, and supply chain logistics. Furthermore, the retail industry plays a vital role in delivering public policy and providing social value in areas such as public health, employment and skills, and community cohesion.
Retail has been highlighted as one of the greatest areas of opportunity to drive the UK’s trade and investment performance and deliver on the government’s 2020 manifesto commitments. The role sits within the Consumer and Retail Sector which has been supported as a High Value Campaign for Saudi Arabia. The Department for International Trade in Saudi Arabia is now recruiting a new trade team to lead and develop the UK offer in Saudi.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Implement the existing country-wide strategy for delivering sector activity against annual targets
- Lead the sector team (one Trade officer in Riyadh and one in Jeddah) and work on the development and implementation of a High Value Campaign strategy
- Identify relevant sector opportunities and promote to potential UK firms.
- Support relevant sector trade events and provide in-market guidance.
- Draft and provide in-depth sector briefing and other market contributions
- Lead on generating UK commercial wins in priority sectors across the Kingdom.
- Lead on the identification and promotion of high value export opportunities;
- Develop contacts and relations with key UK and Saudi stakeholders in the Consumer and Retail sector.
- Contribute to VIP visits, both to Saudi Arabia and to the UK.
- Where necessary, provide the wider DIT team in Saudi Arabia with in-country support including (but not limited to) official programmes, trade missions, events and trade shows.
- Managing a Quality Service - Effectiveness in this area is about being organized to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Leading and Communicating: To encourage open communication and provide clear direction on what needs to be achieved and how to get there through visible leadership.
- Achieving Commercial Outcomes: Effectives in this area is about having a commercial, financial and sustainable mindset to ensure all activities and services are delivering added value and working to stimulate economic growth.
- Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Knowledge and experience in the retail sector in the Saudi and/or the UK.
- Excellent Negotiations Skills.
- Excellent Strategic Thinking.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes.
- Team player who is capable of working on their own initiative.
- Strong customer focus and ability to deliver quality service.
- Collaborative approach to colleague and stakeholder partnerships.
- Have a proven record of organisational ability.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) in English and Arabic.
- Project Management
- Stakeholder Analysis and Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Financial acumen
- Policy related work
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role including:
- Base Salary including Eid Bonus – SAR. 13,311.90/-
- * Housing Allowance – SAR. 3,327.97/- (subject to eligibility)*
- * Travel Allowance- SAR. 400/-(subject to eligibility)*
*Allowances are not payable to staff who receive official provision for such expenditure in some other form.
No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
This is a full time fixed term contract for three years with a possibility of renewal. The job offers the opportunity to develop skills and knowledge of the public and private sector both in the UK and Saudi Arabia, and to build up knowledge of specific sectors. It would be an excellent career stepping-stone for anyone with an interest in international trade. The job-holder will interact with companies and officials at all levels. Training and occasional travel to the UK, across the Kingdom and elsewhere in the Gulf region are an integral part of the job. There is a requirement for occasional out of hours working, for example to attend official networking events.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90 day probationary period.
The position is only available to holders of Saudi residence permits or transferable Iqamas, and successful candidates will be required to transfer their sponsorship to the British Embassy.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online:
- A covering letter.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
** (Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
The closing date for applications is 18 February 2018 before 23:55 KSA Time.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Potential candidates will be invited to take a short assessment; those who pass the assessment will be invited for an interview.
Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for assessment will be contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances, medical clearance and reference checks.
The British Embassy in Riyadh is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy is subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Saudi Arabian employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.