View Vacancy - Science and Innovation Adviser
The British Embassy in Abu Dhabi has a vacancy for a Science and Innovation Adviser, Grade B3 (L).
The UK Science and Innovation Network (SIN) is the British Government’s organisation for international science diplomacy. It is jointly funded by the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS). SIN has 90+ staff based in over 30 countries and territories worldwide. The six countries of the GCC (Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, and Bahrain) are investing heavily in research capacity as they seek to diversify and build their knowledge based economies. The regional SIN (Gulf) Network facilitates the development of new bilateral and multilateral science and innovation partnerships. It seeks to leverage UK and regional research funds to tackle pressing global challenges. SIN (Gulf) has identified significant opportunities for the UK research base to engage beneficially with Gulf research institutions in priority research sectors. The British Embassy, Abu Dhabi invites applications to join the SIN (Gulf) Network from April 2018. The successful candidate will be part of a larger team being managed from Doha.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement the UK Government’s science and innovation strategy for the Gulf with direct responsibility for the United Arab Emirates.
- Manage the UK relationship with UAE research, innovation and funding bodies.
- Report on UAE trends, policy and funding in the areas of research, science and innovation.
- Provide support to senior UK Government staff and the UK research base regarding the UAE science and innovation environment; Support VIP visits.
- Act as the first point of contact for UK Government lobbying on research, scientific and technology policy issues.
- Work with UAE partners on the development of common science and innovation policies.
- Develop high quality and sustainable science and innovation partnerships that focus on UK and Gulf priorities.
- Work with UK partners - UK Department for International Trade (DIT), British Council and others to deliver wider UK prosperity objectives.
- Develop and maintain a network of senior level contacts across the UK and Gulf research landscape.
- Leverage Gulf research funds to tackle pressing global challenges.
- Collaborating and Partnering: It requires working collaboratively, sharing information and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions.
- Delivering at Pace: Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Managing a Quality Service: Being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Engaging Internationally: Effectiveness in this area is about leading internationally, engaging our staff, contacts and international partners to help deliver UK Government objectives, while living the Civil Service values and serving the UK public.
- BSc or BA in a relevant field
- The ability to plan strategically and to see the bigger picture.
- The ability to deliver results under pressure.
- The ability to work quickly and reliably with attention to detail and with limited supervision
- The ability to initiate and maintain a wide range of working relationships.
- The ability to work as part of a larger team managed from Doha.
- Good presentation, interpersonal and representational skills.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Strong IT computer skills – Understanding of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Good spoken/written Arabic.
- Project management experience.
- A scientific background, experience working with the research, academic or commercial scientific community of the Gulf region, and an understanding of the UK science and innovation landscape highly desirable.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role. The total salary for the role is AED 15,406 per month at Grade B3 (L); on-site parking and access to on-site swimming pool, gymnasium and sports facilities. There are no other allowances payables as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Standard working hours are from 07:30 to 14:30 from Sunday to Thursday. However, the successful candidate may be required to work outside normal working hours. The position will be based at the British Embassy in Abu Dhabi, but should the successful candidate be Dubai-based, there is scope for locating the job in Dubai.
Training and support will be provided. Please note that this position will involve travelling around the UAE as well as some travel within the Gulf region and to the UK. It will also involve representational duties including out of hour’s commitments (networking, receptions, and seminars).
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online:
- A covering letter.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
** (Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
The closing date for applications is 19 February 2018 by 23:55 UAE Time.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Potential candidates will be invited to take a short assessment; those who pass the assessment will be invited for an interview.
Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for assessment will be contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances, medical clearance and reference checks.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances, medical clearance and reference checks.
The British Embassy Abu Dhabi is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.