View Vacancy - Decision Support Officer - 09/18 PTA
Main purpose of job:
To provide valuable support to the visa application process by conducting mandatory checks/referrals on visa applications, answering post application correspondence, liaising with colleagues in the UK on referred applications and managing the referred case process to ensure that applications are processed in a timely manner. Act in accordance with the Code of Conduct and Home Office Values at all times.
Roles and responsibilities
- Conduct a pre-sift of all applications that have a record as a result of the mandatory biographic and biometric checks. Deal with any that don’t relate directly to the applicant.
- Complete and send off any mandatory referrals to colleagues in the UK; dealing with the response; and passing the application to an operational manager to resolve.
- Managing the biographic referral process, sending off referrals to the UK and logging the responses so that the application can be assessed.
- Using the outstanding application spreadsheet to manage the referred/deferred applications, chasing where necessary and ensuring that all deferred/referred applications are processed within customer service targets.
- Answering post application correspondence, dealing with complaints and, if necessary, referring to local UKVI management.
Further responsibilities are likely to be identified as the role develops.
- Good communication with excellent spoken and written English.
- Computer literacy with accurate typing skills of at least 25 words per minute.
- The ability to work quickly and reliably with little supervision to meet challenging targets.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent team players - this is an all for one, and one for all environment.
- Flexibility and a positive attitude to working in a forward thinking, modern and motivated department, which is working at the forefront of visa work. We are committed to improving standards and procedures - and we are looking for like-minded employees.
Level of language required: Fluent
It is extremely important that the successful candidate is adaptable and shows a willingness to undertake a variety of tasks in a busy environment. There may be the need to work flexible hours.
A positive attitude is essential as is the ability to work as part of a team.
- The British High Commission pays in full for the Key Care Plus option on Discovery Health for staff including spouses/partners and dependants.
- Once you have successfully completed your probation the British High Commission will contribute 9 % of your monthly salary to a Provident Fund.
- Annual leave entitlement of 25 days
- Working hours per week of 36.5
- Security Clearance Level required: LE Confidential.
- Employment will be subject to obtaining the appropriate security clearance. Please note that only nationals of UK, EU countries, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand are likely to meet this requirement.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Pretoria are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in South Africa.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- If you don’t already hold a valid SA Police Clearance Certificate, we recommend that you apply for the certificate at the time of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.