View Vacancy - Deputy Director, Department for International Trade, Dhaka - C4
Main purpose of job
As part of a strengthened bilateral trade relationship between the UK and Bangladesh, the Department for International Trade (DIT) at the British High Commission works to increase UK exports to Bangladesh, support British investments in the country and encourage greater inward investment from Bangladesh to the UK.
The work of the team is focused on generating major opportunities for UK industry in Bangladesh and helping UK businesses to access these opportunities both directly, and through partners.
The Deputy Head of DIT will play a leading role in supporting the management of the team’s multi-sector approach (priority sectors are Rail, Infrastructure, Energy, Education, Healthcare and Defence/Security) and driving delivery against ambitious trade targets on Export Wins, Export Opportunities and services to UK companies wishing to enter or expand in the Bangladesh market.
The successful candidate will support the DIT Director on work relating to annual Business Planning, visiting delegations and the UK’s Trade Envoy for Bangladesh. They will also work with the newly formed British Business Group (BBG) to ensure it champions the cause of British businesses in Bangladesh.
Roles and responsibilities
- Proactively build market intelligence and a network of business contacts in Bangladesh in order to support UK companies in market.
- Identify and chase export opportunities in the priority sectors and support UK companies to secure these.
- Act as sector lead for Energy, Infrastructure and Education/Skills.
- Act as Communication and Marketing Lead for DIT Dhaka.
- Supervise team’s annual budget returns to ensure spending within 1% of budget forecast.
- Support on annual Business Planning, Ministerial Engagement, Business Climate activity.
- Act as DIT liaison for the newly formed British Business Group Trust and ensure the body champions the cause of British business.
- Provide strategic guidance and line management of the DIT team.
- Actively participate in meetings and briefings of relevance to the role.
- Manage administration of the team in the Director’s absence.
- A post-graduation degree (or equivalent). Preferably in Economics, Trade, Business Administration.
- Proven skills in operations management and people management.
- Proficiency in IT, especially MS Office (specifically Excel and Power Point) and Outlook.
- Availability for business travel within and outside the country.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience of working effectively with both the private and public sectors.
- Experience of Business Development or related activities.
- Evidence of working on international issues, or though international networks.
- Understanding of key drivers of business decisions and public sector.
- Excellent written and oral English & Bengali communication skills. IELTS band level 7.5 is preferable.
- Understanding of commercial relationships between industry sectors.
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, the basic starting salary will be BDT 120,292 per month (possibly negotiable depending on experience/qualifications) plus other benefits as per organisation policy.
The British High Commission offers a competitive remuneration package, including salary, benefits, a leave entitlement, Health Insurance and relevant L&D opportunities.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
- Complete the Online Job Application Form
- Attach a detailed CV
- Attach appraisal forms ( Internal candidates only)
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.