View Vacancy - [INTERNAL VACANCY] Security Sergeant - A1
Main purpose of job:
To supervise the British High Commission Gurkha Guard Force, establish continuity between shifts, identify strengths and weaknesses and report to the Guard Force Commander (GFC). To act as GFC in his absence and to assist him administratively as required.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Supervise Ghurka Guard Force Shifts to ensure that all duties and orders are performed to the required high standard.
- Manage and report all incidents that occur during each shift.
- Ensure that the physical security of the estate is intact and serviceable, e.g. Gates & Barriers, reporting faults and following up issues of repair and maintenance.
- Carry out regular day and night checks of off compound residence and the High Commissioner’s residence.
- Maintain proper inventories of security equipment, ensure that frequent testing of security equipment takes place, report loss or damage to any items.
- Conduct office duties on a rotational basis to monitor CCTVs and assist the GFC with any administration required, including preparation of daily duties for guards and additional guards for events as required.
- Line manage Corporals and be responsible for their performance and assessments. Also to ensure that Corporals maintain their responsibility for appraisals and development of the Guards.
- Be fully aware of all emergency procedures and ensure that the Guard Force fully understands their roles. Supervise guards during any incident or emergency.
- Have a strong knowledge of Customer Care, Communication Skills and Dealing with Awkward Customers. English Language skills are preferred together with Hindi and Nepalese.
- Recognise and respond to areas of personal development required within the Guard Force, suggest ways for improvement and assist with knowledge enhancement. Organise training as required in conjunction with the GFC.
One corporal and fifteen guards.
This position requires the successful candidate to work shifts. Flexible working is not possible. There are three defined shifts 6am to 2pm, 2pm to 10pm and 10pm to 6am.
From time to time the Sergeant will be expected to fill in for the Guard force Commander during times of sickness and leave.
- Good leadership skills, able to communicate and command respect. Experience of managing a team would be preferred.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Knowledge of the current BHC security procedures.
- Basic IT skills with a working knowledge of the range of MS Office packages and knowledge of electronic systems.
- Ability to identify risks and act appropriately under the circumstances.
Experience of delivering training. Experience of shift working.
British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
BHC offers great benefits package that includes annual domiciliary medical cover, plus a Group Hospitalisation Scheme with Rs 500,000 floater cover for your immediate family.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment. This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
- Complete the Online Job Application Form.
- Attach a detailed CV.
Internal Candidates please Note:
- While applying for this position, upload the appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) else the application will not be considered.
Please Note :
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.