View Vacancy - Prosperity Fund Energy Programme and Policy Officer
The British Embassy in Mexico City is looking for a Locally-Engaged B3 (L) Energy Programme and Policy Officer to support the UK Government’s (HMG) work on Prosperity through the coordination of strategic projects supporting key policy work streams in order to assure efficient use of budgets and timely delivery of expected results while managing associated risks to deliver critical impacts in the UK-Mexico bilateral relationship.
Prosperity is one of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s three Foreign Policy Priorities under which we actively seek to create the conditions for global growth. The Prosperity Fund is the British Government’s dedicated fund supporting prosperity work overseas. Through targeted programmes, it aims to support the conditions for global and UK growth particularly in the following areas: Business Environment, Energy, Financial Services, Future Cities and Education and Health.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Contribute to programme and project pipeline development ensuring on-going contacts with relevant stakeholders in Mexico and the UK mean that programme and project proposals follow a transparent, fair and consistent process. Give input, context and feedback to contribute to selection of proposals and evaluate received bids.
- Elaborate and facilitate signing of contracts for successful proposals and launch the projects with implementers at the beginning of each project.
- Lead on project planning to ensure project deliverables are delivered to time, budget and strategy.
- Ensure that project implementation contributes to UK’s policy strategies in Mexico.
- Manage project execution to ensure compliance with planned expenditure, based on completion of activities, targets and financial and narrative reporting under FCO Programme Management Procedures guidelines.
- Monitor progress tracking through active follow up, periodic meetings with implementers, policy officers and other relevant stakeholders. Monitor project risks and review project deliverables.
- Communicate programme and project achievements and strategies. Coordinate projects events.
- Contribute to the Embassy’s policy relationships under the relevant work stream with (including but not limited to) key government stakeholders both in the UK and Mexico, as well as civil society, academia and business.
- Monitor and report on relevant policy developments in Mexico related to the Prosperity Fund work under the relevant work stream, and promote the UK’s interests in the field.
- Lead on project closure to guarantee the execution of project signing off, financial conclusion and all end-of-project documentation.
- Responsibility for supporting the implementation of the Prosperity fund Energy programme worth up to £28 million related to economic, environmental and urban sustainable development, security and justice issues affecting prosperity in Mexico, good governance and rule of law; including regional stakeholder outreach and strategy and the non-ODA energy portfolio.
- Engagement with existing and new programme beneficiaries, implementers and partners.
- Evaluation and reporting on the impacts and lessons identified from previous programme activities.
- Collating evidence to support and draft the business case for the Prosperity Fund Mexico Programme.
There will be some (limited) possibilities for travel as part of the role. Relevant job related training will be given as required.
- Be resilient and resourceful – the aim of the job is to deliver a meaningful and successful range of activities which support both HMG’s objectives more widely as well as the Embassy’s business objectives.
- Create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the British Embassy to help get business done. At all levels, it requires working collaboratively, sharing information and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions.
- Take responsibility and be accountable for quality outcomes, including by delivering on a timely performance with energy. Work to agreed goals and activities and deal with challenges in a responsive and constructive way. Build a performance culture to deliver outcomes with a firm focus on prioritisation and address performance issues resolutely, fairly and promptly.
- Good working levels of English and Spanish both written and spoken.
- Project management experience.
- Budget managament experience.
- Experience of working with private and public sector stakeholders.
- Interest in energy.
- 38 conditional working hours a week allowing employees to work flexibly in order to encourage a better work/life balance, 8:00 – 4:30 from Monday to Thursday and 8:00 – 2:00 on Fridays.
- 14 days of public holidays.
- 16 days of annual leave during the first year then 20 days on the second year.
- 50% holiday bonus.
- 13th Month salary.
- Medical Insurance.
- The initial contract will be until 31/03/18. Subsequent extension will depend on Prosperity Fund programme development.
This opportunity is closed to applications.