View Vacancy - Senior Trade Adviser - Consumer & Retail - C4 - Delhi/Mumbai
Job Location: Delhi/ Mumbai
Main purpose of job:
This role will dramatically grow the value of trade with India, through strategic campaigns and pipeline development.
The team focuses on supporting UK exporters in the consumer goods & retail sectors. The objective is to dramatically grow the value of trade with India, through strategic campaigns and pipeline development. Your job is to tap into the rapidly growing consumer goods & retail sectors in India and creating substantial opportunities for UK companies here. You will also need some flexibility to deliver across other sectors to link in with broader organisational goals. You will lead a team spread across India to set ambitious targets and deliver those.
You will bring with you an in-depth knowledge of the sectors. You will build a strategy based on this knowledge to turn the long-term potential of the sector into a pipeline of opportunities for UK business. To do so, you will identify and build relationships within the sector and build a pipeline of validated projects for UK business, particularly large or high-value deals which would require UK government support or involvement to win. You will then work with DIT’s Headquarters’ team in the UK and in other markets to bring UK companies to India and support them to win business, delivering towards the UK government’s twin export targets.
Your role will be high profile. You will be the voice of the UK government and industry in the sector, and wider; you will be expected to gain access to the most senior levels within Indian industry and government if necessary using the Deputy High Commissioner and other senior staff. You will be a self-starter who can demonstrate a long-term objective; plan and manage a delivery model; identify, grow and make effective use of stakeholders. You will work with colleagues within DIT in India and elsewhere, with other UK government colleagues, Indian government(s), business and other multipliers (trade associations, etc.).
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Create, validate, plan and deliver a strategy for the Consumer Goods & Retail sector across India. Identify, validate and deliver a pipeline of high value projects and opportunities; plan and deliver activities to connect UK business to these opportunities and provide bespoke support to UK companies to win business. In doing so, meet DIT’s internal targets (for pipeline, export wins, return on investment and customer satisfaction/quality).
- With the Consumer Goods & Retail team, build and manage senior level relationships with key Indian and UK business, stakeholders and partners within the sector, across one-HMG team and in the UK to support objectives and deliver value for UK business.
- Create and innovate models to engage with stakeholders, raise the profile of the sector through activities & events planned and managed by DIT and others, including GREAT.
- Provide help, support and advice to colleagues and peers in the Consumer Goods & Retail team across India and in other sub-sectors on specific projects, events and activities.
- Contributing to wider corporate UK government objectives, including input to Ministerial/VIP visits and deliverables in Post and across one-HMG in India
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant commercial/business experience
- A good understanding of the sector and a strong network in the sector.
- Strong analytical and problem skills to search out significant opportunities for UK business.
- Tried and tested project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, team working and people management skills. Experience of dealing with senior level decision makers Indian national and state government. You will need to show a solid track record of dealing with senior level decision makers in the business world.
- Experience of working in the UK; knowledge of the business environment and of UK business related policies.
- Marketing and presentational skills.
- Experience of working in trade/export promotion.
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, salary will be INR 88,102 per month together with a 12% provident fund and 6% Superannuation Fund/ Special Allowance
Additionally the BHC offers a great benefits package that includes annual domiciliary medical cover, plus a Group Hospitalisation Scheme with Rs 500,000 floater cover for your immediate family.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Please note that applications without (a), (b) and (c) will NOT be considered:
(a) Complete the Online Application Form
(b) Attach a detailed CV
(c) Complete the motivation segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) else the application will not be considered.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.