View Vacancy - Consular Assistance Officer
Length of Contract: 9 months (maternity cover)
Main purpose of job:
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a high performing team making a real difference to people’s lives, often during times of real distress. The main purpose of the job is providing consular assistance to British nationals across Southern India (Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Kerala ,Puducherry & Lakshadweep islands).
Roles and responsibilities:
- To provide support on arrest/detention cases. This would involve:
- Meeting customers, liaising with local authorities and consular colleagues at Post, Delhi and London and ensuring that relevant records are updated on Casebook.
- Preparing for and carrying out prison visits.
- Writing prison visit reports and following up on action points.
- Maintaining records of fund transfers and prison shopping lists.
- Taking responsibility for all related administrative tasks.
- Back up the two B3L Consular Officers as necessary on consular assistance work. Assisting consular customers at the counter
- Dealing with enquiries from the public in person, written and telephone
- Handling and processing applications for Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs).
- Providing consular assistance on straightforward assistance cases, e.g. natural deaths that require repatriation letters, documentary services such as NOCs for adoption,etc.
- Back up administration support to the two B3L Consular officers. This would include:
- maintenance of the Consular Waiting Room and public counter, ensuring both areas are stocked with communications material, forms, all relevant consular notices in line with the CROM checklist, and any other material necessary.
- Receiving and dealing with incoming and outgoing post, including opening, logging, distribution and responding to straightforward letters and enquires.
- Obtaining, verifying & updating information through key contacts (Police/Wardens) on incidents in South India.
- Admin support and participation in all crisis exercises carried out by Post
- Learning the Crisis Hub and accessing it once a month along with the rest of the team.
What we do:
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s consular service focusses on assisting British people living, travelling and working around the world when they are most in need.
What we want from you?
The role calls for someone who has excellent communication and administration skills. You should also have good attention to detail, and the ability to remain focused and resilient under pressure, particularly while providing assistance to vulnerable and distressed British nationals. It is tough work and can be emotionally draining but it is also extremely rewarding.
You will need to show flexibility and team work in the job. There will be times when you will be called upon to attend court hearings; prison visits; and hospitals. It can vary, so we need someone who is open minded, sympathetic and prepared for any situation. Due to the nature of consular work, it is difficult to predict when someone will need our assistance so this is not a job that starts and ends at 0830-1630. It occasionally requires travel at short notice.
As well as being part of the team for South Asia you will also be part of our wider Middle East, North Africa & South Asia (MENASA) Network as well as part of the Global Consular Team. All mandatory trainings will be provided along with a variety of developmental opportunities.
- Graduate with at least 2 years of relevant experience (candidates without the required academic qualifications but with exceptional practical experience will be considered).
- Display strong administrative skills with good working knowledge of Windows and MS Office applications, especiall MS Outlook, Word & Excel.
- Good communicator at all levels with excellent standards of written and spoken English;
- Ability to work to deadlines with attention to detail & accuracy.
- Strong customer service skills with ability to focus on the customer requirements.
- Be a team player who is supportive to colleagues at all times.
- Good interpersonal and time management skills.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant experience in a frontline customer service role.
- Language: English : High proficiency – both written and spoken
- Others: Competency in spoken Tamil with knowledge of other South Indian languages would be an advantage.
For BHC candidates, the LE BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, Basic Salary will be INR 37,285 per month.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Please note applications without (a), (b) and (c) will not be considered.
(a) Complete the Online Job Application Form
(b) Complete the Motivation section in the online application form (no more than 600 words) setting out why you are the suitable person for this role. Your statement should include clear examples of how you meet the key competences
(c) Attach a detailed CV
We will accept only online applications by “_22nd October 2017__” midnight.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.