View Vacancy - Senior Political Officer
Length of Contract: Until April 2019 with possibility for extension
Main purpose of job:
The successful candidate will provide political reporting and analysis on extremism related issues in Pakistan. You will develop and maintain a network of contacts to inform this reporting and analysis and be responsible for ensuring the political team, as well as the High Commissioner, have the right contacts in the right places to really get under the skin of what is going on in Pakistan. You will also play a leading role in the coordination of events and visits on behalf of the British High Commission.
You will be managed by the Second Secretary Political. You will work primarily with the Counter Terrorism and Counter Extremism team but will also provide insight to the other teams in the mission to support wider UK objectives in Pakistan. As a senior member of the local team you will be required to help set the framework for the work of junior colleagues, including embedding organisational vision and values.
Reporting and research:
- Lead research on extremism related issues to inform understanding of the issues and to assist in development and evaluation of programme work by the UK Government.
- Develop and use network of contacts to inform reporting on and monitoring of development of Pakistan’s CVE policy at federal and provincial levels.
- Support the wider political team and other sections in the mission by providing informed, timely and strategically aware analysis on extremism and violent extremism issues..
- Undertake proactive and reactive open source research on topics of interest to the BHC, verify this research with expert contacts and use it to increase depth and breadth of understanding, often to tight deadlines.
Manage network of contacts:
- Develop and maintain a diverse network of contacts and use this network to inform understanding, identify opportunities and support UK priorities across Pakistan. A key part of this job will be ensuring that UK policy makers are getting out and seeing the right people.
- Inform effective BHC engagement through advice on relationships and key influencers within and outside the Pakistani establishment, including supporting programmatic delivery.
- Champion and manage BHC Contact Database.
Visits and Events Organisation:
- Organise, accompany and support senior staff on visits and produce timely and informative records of meetings.
- Co-ordinate events (receptions, dinners) to inform understanding on issues of extremism and violent extremism, including proposing events, compiling guest lists, overseeing administration to ensure success and on occasion attending to provide support.
- Education: Bachelors degree
- Knowledge of Pakistani politics, state institutions (particularly the House and the Senate) and key influencers.
- A Bachelors degree; ideally in International Relations or similar.
- A proactive dynamic individual with a can-do attitude, who works well in a team.
- Be well organised and able to demonstrate flexibility.
- Have strong computer skills (particularly MS Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Have a high standard of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to think creatively to solve problems, sometimes under pressure and multi-task.
- Have a track record in managing and prioritising your workload.
- Confidence and commitment to deliver with minimal supervision.
- Language: English and Urdu.
- Level of language required: Exceptional command of written and spoken English and Urdu.
- Experience of working on extremism and terrorism issues.
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, salary will be PKR 217,516 per month.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
Learning and development opportunities :Cross-mission Learning and Development opportunities including:
- Formal in-house and external training
- Coaching, mentoring and job shadowing.
- Structured learning on the job, including stretching objectives and work.
Please note that the applications without (a), (b) and (c) will not be considered:
(a) Complete the Online Application Form.
(b) Attach a detailed CV.
(c) Complete the Motivation section in the online application form (no more than 600 words) setting out why you are the suitable person for this role. Your statement should include clear examples of how you meet the key competences.
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) else the application will not be considered
We will accept only online applications by 26th October 2017 midnight.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
It is a full-time position based in Islamabad but with occasional travel to other parts of the country required.
This opportunity is closed to applications.