View Vacancy - Local Liaison Assistant (TUR507)
The British Embassy in Ankara is part of a world-wide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Local Liaison Assistant to join NCA - National Crime Agency Team.
The role of the Local Liaison Assistant (LLA) is a varied and challenging role, which requires a flexible approach to the range of duties. The role will require building skills and knowledge on key organised crime threat areas, as well as facilitating excellent bilateral cooperation with partners in host law enforcement and judiciary. Practical support to International Liaison Officers (ILOs) will be required in the form of administrative, written and linguistic duties.
The primary duties are as follows:
- To provide linguistic support to the NCA ILOs, Regional Manager, and on occasion to colleagues within the British Embassy, through translation of documents and interpretation at meetings and other engagements;
- To provide administrative support to the ILOs as required. Maintain project filing system that is thorough, retrievable and auditable. Supply logistical support for visiting officers, and assist visits by Turkish officers to the UK;
- To make enquiries and exchange information with host law enforcement agencies in response to incoming information and ongoing joint co-operations. Liaising and maintaining relationships with partners across government within the British Embassy (Ankara) Consulate (Istanbul), general Mission staff and foreign law enforcement liaison officers;
- Building and maintaining relationships on behalf of the NCA leading to excellent relationships with key partners;
- Administrative and linguistic support for bilateral projects with Turkish partners;
- To undertake extensive analysis, research and development on intelligence received from NCA and hosts on priority threat areas. Develop in-depth strategic and tactical knowledge of NCA threat areas. Develop in-depth knowledge of Turkish legislation surrounding organised crime;
- Regularly travel for meetings with hosts throughout Turkey and on occasion Internationally;
- Provide on call support (out of hours) to NCA office and Turkey ILO network as required.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support Project Management and delivery;
- Record office expenditure and manage the budget;
- Translate documents and attend senior level meetings as an interpreter, primarily on behalf of the ILO network, but also in support of the wider Embassy;
- Liaise with partners across government within the Embassy, general Mission staff and foreign law enforcement liaison officers;
- Supply logistical support for visiting officers, and assist visits by Turkish officers to the UK, including accompanying them and the ILO overseas on occasions;
- Provide support to the Regional Manager;
- Work on a rota system to provide out of hours cover for the Ankara ILO network.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in Turkish and English;
- University degree or equivalent (mainly in Languages, Communication or International Studies);
- Previous professional experience within an overseas mission, international projects or policing organisations;
- Experience of managing staff and have proven leadership skills;
- General understanding of the political and environmental situation in Turkey;
- Ability to interpret and translate varied and technical documents from Turkish to English and vice versa;
- Ability to work under pressure, carry a diverse workload, prioritise effectively and demonstrate a positive attitude;
- Good IT skills (MS Office and databases).
This is a full-time permanent contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
The annual salary for this position is 80,213.28 TL gross, A2 level. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax required by local law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Turkey. The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and a probation period of 2 months.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Turkish employment law.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We are committed to developing a learning organisation that enhances business performance, maximises our staff’s potential and encourages staff innovation and development.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.