View Vacancy - Personal Assistant to HM Consul General
The British Consulate General in Jerusalem is seeking an individual for the position of Personal Assistant to the HM Consul General starting in January 2018.
The successful applicant will manage the office of the Consul-General, including diary organisation and social secretary duties.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Providing an effective diary service to the Consul-General, organising his meetings with internal contacts (within the Consulate-General, the British Embassies in Tel Aviv and Amman, the British Council, and the Department for International Development), as well as with key Palestinian figures.
• Acting as a social secretary, coordinating regular social meetings (with the help of the Residence Manager) and organising large set piece events e.g. Queen’s Birthday Parties in Jerusalem and Ramallah, Remembrance Day services etc.
• Liaising with Israeli authorities for permits for travel in the Occupied Territories.
• Managing the incoming and outgoing correspondence of the Consul-General: receiving mail, ensuring that urgent issues are dealt with, and drafting letters and emails on behalf of the Consul-General.
• Maintaining the Consulate-General’s contacts database.
• Acting as ITSO for the Official-Sensitive system, providing support to users to resolve problems quickly.
• Acting as Fire Warden.
• In a crisis, acting as PA to Crisis Leader.
• Performing other administrative duties as requested.
• Seeing the Big Picture - Seeing the big picture is about having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs.
• Making Effective Decisions - Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgment, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
• Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
• Collaborating & Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
• Previous experience as PA or experience in event management;
• Excellent English language skills, written and spoken;
• Excellent planning and organisational skills.
• Ability to prioritise effectively, juggling competing demands on your and the Consul-General’s time with discretion and flexibility.
• Willingness to work with minimal supervision, taking responsibility for decisions where appropriate and referring to senior colleagues where necessary.
• Ability to work well with others as part of a team (it will be important to build good relationships with the rest of the British Consulate-General’s staff).
• Excellent IT skills especially in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
• Flexibility to take on other duties not necessarily listed in the job spec if the role evolves over time.
• Flexible and ability to work in a team.
• Knowledge of Arabic language is an advantage
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours gross per week. The Consulate-General is committed to ensuring that you are able to maintain a suitable work-life balance. The actual working hours are at the discretion of the HM Consul General and depend upon the needs of the Consulate-General. They are at present:
Monday to Thursday: 08.00 – 16.00 hours
Friday: 08.00 – 14.00 hours
Saturday and Sunday: Holiday
Some flexibility in working hours will be permitted subject to negotiation and agreement. We envisage the job being a full-time position but would be willing to discuss part-time options.
- An enhanced security clearance is required for this position. Mono-nationals of United Kingdom, United States, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
- The applicants should have status allowing them to reside in Jerusalem.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
1. A covering letter.
2. An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
** (Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter or motivation section in the application form. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 25 October 2017.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for assessment will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
The British Consulate General is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staffs recruited locally by the British Consulate General are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.