View Vacancy - BK - Protocol Officer, A2 (Internal vacancy)
The British Embassy in Bangkok is part of the UK Government’s world-wide network of 270 Foreign and Commonwealth office (FCO) overseas missions, representing British interests around the world.
The main purpose of the job is to ensure that correct protocol procedures are followed so that UK-based (UKB) staff gain accreditation/Visa’s in a timely fashion and third party Local staff (LS) have the correct documentation for working within the Embassy. In addition, the Officer should ensure the correct visas are issued to staff when travelling on official business.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Process applications for Diplomatic ID Cards; Permits to stay; Visas; Driving licences;
- Liaise with Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and Thai Immigration at all levels to ensure that appropriate protocols are observed and managed as required.
- Inform the MFA of UKB staff arrivals and departures.
- Ensure that the changes to the diplomatic list are sent to the MFA
- Assist staff with pre arrival visa information and if necessary, facilitate entry permits.
- Assist non-Thai Local Staff to apply for entry permits and renew stay permits.
- Gather and circulate information on procedures and regulations of MFA/Protocol, Immigration and third country visas application.
- Establish, build and sustain effective working relationships with contacts at the MFA, Immigration and other Embassies.
- Prism Requisitioner; ensure all acquisitions are made in compliance with the FCO’s procurement policy.
- Deputise for the Finance Officer as and when required (e.g. cash box)
- Assist with processing payments for school fees for UK staff
- Process language school payments for staff
- Issue formal letters for staff as required
- Assist Corporate Services Manager (CSM) and Deputy CSM – HR with administration support, general filing and updating management paperwork, photocopying
- Translation of Thai and support to the CSM and DCSM-HR with Thai stakeholders
- Assist with organising the Queen’s Birthday Party event
- In times of crisis, contribute to the Embassy-wide response as directed
- Support the Welfare Crisis lead and update the Welfare Crisis folder on a monthly basis
- General ad hoc support for the Corporate Services Section as directed
- Provide data and reporting when requested by FCO London (e.g. Geographical Expenditure Guides GEG’s)
- Attention to detail and ability to deliver highly accurate work.
- Ability to understand and implement complex policies and procedures.
- A problem solver who can work autonomously
- A confident person with strong communication and influencing skills, both orally and in writing.
- A team player who is able to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good self management and organisational skills with an ability to plan and prioritise own work effectively
- A track record of displaying sound judgement and an analytical approach in decision making
- For candidates with English as a second language, certification at IELTS (or equivalent) level 7 or higher. All skill areas (Writing, Speaking, Listening and Reading) must be IELTS score 6.5 or higher.
- Strong interpersonal and inter-cultural communication skills
- Proficient in MS Office applications
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including salary (for those not liable to tax, the salary will be abated), benefits, leave entitlement, Health Insurance and work-related training. Staff who are locally recruited by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. You must have or be able to obtain work authorisation in Thailand in order to apply. Any costs related to obtaining or renewing permits and visas are the responsibility of the successful applicant.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks.
This vacancy is for British Embassy Bangkok internal candidates only.
All applications must be received before 23:55 on 25 October 2017.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting shortlisted candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
Interviews for this position will commence on 02 November 2017.
The successful candidate should be able to start as soon as possible.
Reminder for existing Embassy staff who will be interested to apply:
Along with the completed online application form, candidates should upload their last two years End of Year Appraisals if applicable. If applicants have been employed for less than twelve months, they will need to provide permission from their Head of Section to apply and should attach this to their application.
Guidance on completing competency based application forms and sitting Interviews can be found on the BE Website and also on the Civil Service Learning portal, Virtual Ashridge portal and Goodpractice.net (both accessed through the CSL). Staff are strongly advised to refer to these.
We recommend all applicants to understand the Civil Service competences before applying for any role and in preparation for interviews. For more information, you can visit our website - https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok/about/recruitment.
Please check your application centre regularly for any update on your application
This opportunity is closed to applications.