View Vacancy - Skills and Health Officer
Background and main purpose of job:
To support delivery of the Education and Health PF Global Programmes in Brazil. In particular support the Programme Managers to:
a) Monitor delivery in-country and quality assure DP reporting
b) Provide technical input to programme (e.g. reviewing deliverables)
c) Provide reassurance on fiduciary and budgetary risks
d) Organise stakeholder engagement which needs to be Embassy-led
e) Ensure a cross-HMG approach in Post including maximising secondary benefits
f) Support an increasingly-frequent programme of visits
g) Manage alignment with changing HMG priorities and organise communication initiatives
h) Maintain alignment between Brazil programmes and overarching global health and skills programmes
Roles and responsibilities / what the jobholder will be expected to achieve:
The cross-government Prosperity Fund (PF) was established under the 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR) with the primary aim of supporting growth in recipient countries and thereby reducing poverty. As such, it represents a key component of the prosperity pillar of the UK Aid Strategy. But the Fund uniquely focuses on promoting growth in ODA-eligible middle income countries, which are home to around 60% of the world’s poor and where the development challenges remain significant, but at the same time are important business partners and drivers of prosperity.
By delivering high impact, strategic multi-year programmes, across high opportunity countries, regions and sectors, the Fund will help create opportunities for international business, including UK companies. As the UK leaves the EU, an even more outward-looking global Britain investing and trading with the fastest growing markets will become increasingly important.
Around 25 multi-year programmes have so far been endorsed by the Ministerial Board. These cover trade, anti-corruption, infrastructure, business environment, health, future cities, education, financial services, energy and outward investment. For more information, see the Prosperity Fund Annual Report 2018/19.
This role supports the Programme Managers of the £9m Skills programme and the £14m Better Health programme. In particular the jobholder will need to:
- Analysis and research to shape programme delivery e.g. analysis of UK priorities and/or local context.
- Approach strategy from a Brazilian perspective, to ensure delivery activities are aligned.
- Encourage contributions and involvement from a broad and diverse range of HMG colleagues and/or advisers to shape programme activity, coordinating a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Actively build and maintains a network of HMG colleagues and external contacts, including the central programme team in London, to monitor and achieve progress on programme design and management.
- Lead on internal and external communication opportunities for the programmes along with the local communications team.
- Work across Departmental and other boundaries to effectively manage programme team dynamics.
- Contribute to improved programme design/management through technical expertise in education and health in Brazil, especially in terms of working in the Brazilian public sector.
- Provide specialist technical advice to the programme team. This would include monitoring, reporting, evaluation and learning – working with the programme team and external delivery partner to monitor and evaluate programme effectiveness as well as reviewing programme deliverables to quality assure them.
- Scrutinise reporting including internal programme reporting, both to wider HMG and into the monitoring and reporting system (Prospero).
- Day-to-day management of external delivery partners.
- Support and lead on visits programme arrangements.
- Provide support on Secondary Benefits by working closely with delivery partners and DIT teams to identify opportunities and ensure an effective flow of information, monitoring of opportunities and reporting to central London teams.
- Support Programme Manager and delivery partners to identify and analyse risks around the programme delivery, as well as opportunities for scaling of interventions.
- Minmum 2 year’ programme management experience
- Knowledge of the Brazilian education and/or health sectors
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant subject
Eligibility to work and live in Brazil is required.
Fluent English and Portuguese
- Experience operating in an international environment
- Formal programme management qualifications (e.g. PRINCE2)
- Experience working with governments
We place a strong emphasis on learning and development. You will be encouraged to undertake developmental training and get involved in corporate activities. This role provides an excellent opportunity to build up programme knowledge and expertise and gain exposure to working across government. You will have access to existing and new Project & Programme management L&D as well as wide job-relevant L&D and support for your own personal development.
Successful candidate must have:
- Availability for occasional travel
- Legal permission to work in Brazil
This opportunity is closed to applications.