View Vacancy - Trade and Economics Internship (CHEG20.243)
The UK Mission to the UN & WTO in Geneva represents the interests and policies of the UK at many international organisations in Geneva and is recruiting a highly motivated Trade and Economics Intern.
The internship offers a unique opportunity to contribute to the Economic and Trade team’s work to promote British and global prosperity through the rules-based international trading system.
The internship will offer insight into the economic diplomacy work of the UK Mission, work with counterparts in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the Department for International Trade and the Department for International Development in London and the opportunity to learn about multilateral trade, aid for trade, the WTO and the UN.
The work is both challenging and rewarding. We often work under time pressure in a fast-paced environment.
This internship gives hands on experience with on the job training and evaluation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attending and reporting on meetings including at the World Trade Organisation, International Telecommunications Union and the UN Conference on Trade and Development;
- Coordinating visit programmes for senior visitors to Geneva;
- Providing administrative support to the team and wider mission;
- Providing desk-based research, at times working with the research/library departments of the relevant international organisations, namely the WTO.
- We are looking for a highly motivated, flexible individual with excellent skills in communication and with strong interest in economic governance, international trade and global affairs;
- Degree in economics, international relations, political economy or law and/or have practical experience in any of these fields;
- Fluency written and spoken English;
Excellent organisation and planning skills;
- Strong Research and Reporting skills;
- Willingness to undergo a mandatory security check.
- Master’s degree.
All applicants should have permission to live and work in Switzerland. Applicants must hold a full passport valid for at least 12 months for any EU / Schengen country.
EU nationals do not require visa sponsorship.
The UK Mission will offer the intern a monthly training allowance of 1,250 CHF. Please note that the intern will need to arrange and pay for his or her own travel, accommodation, mandatory health insurance, as well as any other costs. This internship will be for a period of 6 months with possibility of 5 months extension.
The cost of a monthly travel card within Geneva will be reimbursed.
The final appointment will be dependent upon successful security clearance. Please note that selected candidates need to submit the security forms before the internship starts.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
The successful candidates will be invited to attend a Skype interview.
Please be advised that the UK Mission will not be able to meet any cost during the Recruitment and Selection process, Security Check nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
You may experiment some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.