View Vacancy - Personal Assistant to High Commissioner (MLT20.240)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
The British High Commission (BHC) in Malta is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Personal Assistant (PA) to the British High Commissioner.
Working within the office of the High Commissioner, and reporting directly to him, the PA to the High Commissioner provides an interface between staff and external contacts. The PA will ensure the smooth functioning of the office of the High Commissioner including diary management and management of logistics for events, meetings and visits.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Fielding and placing telephone calls, handling enquiries, welcoming visitors, liaising with colleagues, managing IT and stationery, ensuring expenditure is paid promptly and recorded;
- Manage the High Commissioner’s diary - organising his official and social programme, making appointments, setting up meetings, responding to invitations, booking travel; Manage the High Commissioner’s correspondence – ensuring incoming and outgoing correspondence is dealt with in a professional and timely manner, drafting replies;
- Organise events hosted by the High Commissioner – in partnership with the Events Manager, managing database, issuing invitations, handling budgets, overseeing expenditure. Co-ordinate a major annual event;
- Carrying out research, working with other High Commission teams to prepare briefing, ensuring the HC’s activity best delivers our objectives, advising on and making recommendations for meetings and follow-up;
- Contributing to the wider work of the High Commission;
- Supporting the wider team by organising visits, meetings, minute taking etc;
- Undertake ad-hoc tasks from across the BHC as part of the One HMG approach.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written, minimum C1 level*);
- Professional experience directly relevant to the key duties described above;
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and internet skills;
- Excellent all-round communication skills to manage customer expectations and deliver difficult messages;
- Ability to work well in a team and independently;
- Strong problem solving skills using own judgement.
- Knowledge of UK, Maltese and EU affairs and the workings of the UK and Maltese governments;
- Fluency in Maltese (both oral and written).
This is a full-time, 12 months renewable contract.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Malta. The British High Commission does not sponsor work permits.
Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission in Malta are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Maltese employment law.
Visa / Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Malta and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary pending EU Exit. If requirements change additional eligibility information will be shared during the recruitment process.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.