View Vacancy - Defence Attaché Assistant (LTU20.245)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in Vilnius is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a Defence Attaché Assistant, to support the UK Defence attaché in Vilnius, working closely with Lithuanian Ministry of Defence and Armed Forces to advance the UK’s engagement on Defence and security agendas.
Also coordinate related work through lobbying, delivery of visits and projects to deepen the UK/Lithuania defence relationship, supporting colleagues as necessary to deliver against the Embassy’s wider objectives.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide the Defence Attaché and other embassy colleagues with situational awareness of topical defence and security issues. This includes monitoring and reporting on local media, using an in-depth understanding of political and societal trends to ensure the Defence Attaché is briefed on the latest and most accurate information and so has a good understanding of Lithuania’s defence and security situation;
- Provide strategic defence analysis and reporting to the UK Ministry of Defence, including through engagement with both Lithuanian MOD and Armed Forces, including reporting on Lithuanian positions ahead of relevant Bilateral/EU/NATO engagement;
- Coordinate planning and delivery of VIP visits and other projects in order to strengthen the UK/Lithuania defence relationship;
- Lead on the general administration required to support the Defence section in Vilnius, including the planning and coordination of the Defence Attaché’s schedule;
- Maintain and account for the Defence Section budgets, including accurate keeping of relevant logs and records;
- Ensure access to, and influence over, senior defence personnel in Lithuania by maintaining regular communication and through representational activities and events;
- Cooperate closely with other government departments in order to deliver against wider embassy objectives;
- Work closely with the Defence Sections in Estonia and Latvia to ensure coherence in advancing the UK’s interests in the fields of defence and security across the Baltic Region;
- Provide service for Diplomatic Clearance permissions for UK Armed Forces within the borders of Lithuania.
- Fluent English and Lithuanian (spoken and written);
- Bachelor's degree (minimum);
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, allowing effective communication of complex ideas and potential scenarios;
- Understanding of Lithuanian and UK defence policies and strategies, including how these relate to the wider UK and international context;
- Confidence in proactively and professionally interacting with senior officers and officials in the Lithuanian Ministry of Defence and Armed Forces;
- Ability to develop productive relationships with external contacts and partners in order to deliver Defence Section objectives;
- Ability to work in a small team, often without supervision.
- Prior experience in Defence or Security;
- Prior experience in wider governmental institutions.
This is a fixed-term contract of 24 months with possibility of renewal.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Lithuania. The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Vilnius are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Lithuanian employment law.
A competitive base salary and, in addition, a non-consolidated sports allowance;
Private medical insurance scheme;
A strong focus on learning and development;
The opportunity to work in an international environment, gaining skills relevant to work in shared services centres and international organisations;
40 hours gross working week and a commitment to flexible working with a focus on providing a work-life balance, with the potential for some home-working.
Visa/Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Lithuania and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary after 31st December 2020.
Due to Covid-19:
You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.