View Vacancy - Executive Assistant to the Deputy Director - DFID
The Department for International Development (DFID) in the British Embassy, Amman is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of Executive Assistant to the MENA Deputy Director and Jordan Country Director, Grade – A2 (L).
Purpose of the job:
The main purpose of this role is to provide administrative and organisational support to the DFID Deputy Director for Jordan, Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPTs) and Iraq (based in British Embassy Amman). The jobholder will also be responsible for assisting the Head and Deputy Head of DFID Jordan and working closely with the DFID Office Manager in fulfilling some organisational tasks in the wider office.
This is an exciting opportunity to work for the British Embassy Amman as it responds rapidly to the COVID-19 crisis and looks to programme both short- and long-term work in support of the UK-Jordan partnership. This partnership has the UK as a leading and trusted adviser to Jordan, rallying and coordinating international donors in support of Jordan’s long-term stability.
This is a fast-paced role, particularly in terms of admin and meeting management. The post requires commitment to work with others, and the ability to proactively find solutions to problems. The jobholder will report directly to the Deputy Director, and indirectly to the Head of Better Delivery.
This is a fast-paced role. The key components of the job are:
- Provide timely and efficient secretarial/logistical support to the Deputy Director, Country Director and Deputy Head of Office
- Organise internal/external meetings, at times across multiple time zones from across the network
- Provide efficient diary and email inbox management, ensuring the Deputy Director’s calendar is kept manageable and protects their time to read papers and submissions
- Ensure that meeting leads have briefed the Deputy Director in a timely manner for internal, cross-Embassy and external meetings
- Build relationships with key contacts across DFID and the whole Embassy, working confidently as an effective liaison between the Deputy Director and teams
- Organise travel plans and visas, and input travel claims
- Work closely with the Head of Better Delivery and Office Manager to organise office-wide activities and events, VIP visits/visitors’ management, office-wide logistics
- Work with event organisers to ensure Deputy Director-hosted events (e.g. receptions, meetings, events) are well-planned and delivered effectively
- Participate in wider Embassy initiatives as required, including engaging in a corporate role.
- Provide occasional cover to other offices e.g. the DFID Director
Key Competencies and Required Skills:
- Managing a Quality Service - Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Delivering at Pace - Delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Leading and Communicating - Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. It’s about supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
- Fluent verbal and written communication skills in English with strong attention to detail.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in an Executive Assistant or administrative role
- Highly organised with a strong ability to work proactively and manage a variety of competing priorities.
- Flexible team player who is able to work on their own initiative, and ready to take on emerging and high-profile tasks at short notice
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including confidence in promoting DFID and HMG interests.
- IT literacy in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Arabic language skills
- Experience of working with senior management
- Experience of working in an Embassy or similar environment
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The position is full-time, fixed term position for 6 months; at 37 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances.
Pay is on the Embassy A2 (L) scale, with a salary of JOD 1119 per month. The package includes a good level of health insurance and a friendly, English-speaking work environment. We offer opportunities to develop professional skills through our Learning & Development offer. Leave entitlement is 25 days (on pro rata basis) plus 14 public holidays.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90-day probationary period.
DFID follows a 70-20-10 model of learning with formal training only a fraction of the overall learning opportunities in the role. Once past probation the successful candidate will be eligible to bid for funds to undertake training opportunities online and in person both in Jordan and overseas.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as you:
- Receive the appropriate level of standard security clearance;
- Have (or be willing to obtain) the right to live and work in Jordan. Candidate's residence permit and work permit, and the expense to obtain them, will be their own responsibility.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A (600 words) covering letter/statement of suitability outlining the competence and experience required.
** (Applications that do not include the above stated information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 08 July 2020.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
Interviews may be held remotely via Microsoft Teams, Skype, or Telephone. Due to the large amount of applications, we receive only those shortlisted for assessment will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local labour law.
The British Embassy Amman is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.