View Vacancy - Residence Manager
The British Embassy Tunis is seeking to appoint a Residence Manager, to be based at the historic British Residence in La Marsa.
The successful candidate will lead the Residence team (including the Chef, Chambermaid, Butlers and Gardeners). The primary responsibility is to ensure that the Residence and its estate are maintained to the highest possible standard and that the services it provides to the Ambassador’s guests and visitors serve as a showcase for British excellence.
He or she will work closely with the Ambassador, the Ambassador’s spouse, the Ambassador’s Executive Assistant, and the Embassy’s protocol, security, finance and estates management teams.
This is a challenging position that requires excellent inter-personal and organisational skills and strong customer focus.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Regular meetings with the Ambassador to ensure the efficient planning and management of the Residence’s forward programme of events, maintenance and improvement projects.
- Compilation of an annual Residence budget and spending profile at the start of each financial year, submission of monthly expenditure reports, monitoring/adjustment of spend against profile.
- Management and supervision of Residence maintenance projects delivered through the Embassy’s maintenance team, ensuring they deliver on time and on budget to the required specification.
- Working with the Embassy’s Health, Safety and Wellbeing Officer, ensure maintenance of hygiene, health and safety standards at the Residence and support for staff wellbeing.
- Work with the Embassy’s procurement officer to ensure value for money in all Residence expenditure: seeking opportunities to make savings (e.g. in contracted services, food and household purchases).
- Responsibility for monitoring and control of Residence inventories and assets.
- Maintenance of accurate records of Residence activity and tools such as Residence forward programme, contact database, and statistics on the number of events organised and guests/visitors at the Residence.
- Working with the Gardeners and external contractors, ensure the Residence gardens, amenities and olive grove are maintained to a high standard, following an annual calendar of work, and that Residence produce remains a part of our offer to guests and visitors.
Events Planning and Execution
- Oversee the set-up, execution and breakdown of all functions in the Residence, supporting the host in welcoming guests and supervising service throughout.
- Manage and supervise all commercial events including proposals, cost estimates, questions from sponsors, accounting, and payments.
- Organise and co-ordinate all aspects of the Ambassador’s hosted events to a high level of professionalism, creativity and value for money, working effectively with relevant Embassy staff.
- Work closely with organisations, companies and any other associations, which occasionally use the Residence as a venue for functions, generating revenue for the Embassy where appropriate.
- Plan and manage the Ambassador’s programme of hospitality at the Residence.
- Work closely with the Ambassador’s Executive Assistant and spouse regarding scheduling and any other issues relevant to the Residence or the Ambassador’s engagements.
- Work with outside companies and individuals to ensure they fully understand and comply with Embassy guidance when organising events at the Residence.
- Overall supervision of Residence staff, with direct line management responsibility for the Chef, Chambermaid, Gardeners and Butlers, to ensure a high quality of service to guests and customers.
- Regular meetings with all staff to ensure duties are being carried out efficiently and effectively, and to identify learning and development needs.
- Development of training programmes, responding to individual development needs, to support continuous professional development, and to ensure accurate understanding and implementation of essential standards (especially hygiene, health, safety and security).
Key competencies required:
- Making Effective Decisions - Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgment, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
- Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Managing a Quality Service - Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. It’s about working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in similar position with exposure to event planning and management. A relevant qualification in the hospitality, events and/or project management fields is desirable.
- Fluency in Arabic and a good standard of English and/or French language skills.
- Outstanding customer service experience, putting guests and clients at the heart of everything you do.
- The ability to work independently and to react calmly to situations which may arise without constant supervision
- A good knowledge of accountancy, finance and reporting processes.
- Ability to plan, manage and deliver successful events, multi-tasking and working calmly under pressure.
- Excellent staff management skills and effective communication.
- A strong team player, able to work collaboratively with others to get results.
- Excellent problem-solving skills. Ability to anticipate and take initiative to avoid problems or fix them, and to use information and experience to solve problems effectively.
- Good project management skills and an understanding of standard operating procedures.
- Willingness to work flexibly, including in the evenings, and rarely at weekends. The Embassy operates a comprehensive flexible working policy and offers Time Off In Lieu of additional hours worked to ensure a fair work/life balance.
- A readiness to learn and develop, and to take advantage of the Embassy’s strong Learning & Development offer as well as opportunities to learn from and share best practice with fellow Residence Managers in the UK’s global diplomatic network.
Working hours and remuneration:
The British Embassy in Tunisia offers an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role. Initial gross salary will be TND 3,174 per month while on probation. Gross salary after probation is TND 3,927. This is for a full-time employment, on a fixed term basis for one-year, with a possibility of renewal.
Conditioned working hours are 40 hours gross per week. Standard working hours are from 08:00-16:30 from Monday to Thursday and 08:00-13:00 on Fridays. The successful applicant must be willing to work different hours, possibly starting earlier or finishing late, regularly attending evening or weekend events as required
The successful candidate will be subject to a 3 months probationary period.
The appointment will also be subject to satisfactory local and UK security clearances.
Candidate must be eligible to work and reside in Tunisia immediately.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents along with their online application form:
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A Covering Letter
Applications that do not include these will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 23:55 (local time) on 14 July 2020. Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of job applications the Embassy receives, only those shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
The start date mentioned is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
The British Embassy Tunis is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.