View Vacancy - CPK - Political Officer, B3(L)
This role is a key position within the British Embassy’s Political team, operating at the heart of the UK-China relationship. It is a fantastic opportunity to contribute towards a better UK-China understanding, and to develop the relationships which help strengthen the political and social connections between these two countries.
The job holder will need to have a sound understanding of China’s political system. You will study and report on the impact of social change on Chinese politics; and assemble a network of contacts which help to build our knowledge of China. It will be important for the job-holder to link up and coordinate with different teams across the China network, including economic, outreach and consular teams. In turn, you will join a high-performing and friendly team, get the opportunity to develop strong communication and organisational skills, influence thought leaders within China, work on high profile political events, and become a trusted source of advice for colleagues within the Embassy and our British Consulates across China.
Political Research and Reporting
- Conduct in-depth, high-quality research and analysis on social and political issues in China. Lead the embassy’s reporting on the National People’s Congress and Party plenums. Monitor and report on key government work priorities and structural changes
- Provide regular media & news updates on Chinese domestic political issues; analyse the policy changes in key political and social areas to provide updates to Embassy colleagues, London and other relevant departments
- Seek innovative ways to share our knowledge with a wider audience and coordinate among the China network in setting up reporting themes and schedules
- Maintain links with priority organisations and individuals with a particular focus on universities/think-tanks, media and social media contacts.
- Develop and implement a strategy to broaden and deepen the Embassy’s contact base in these areas including by creating and setting-up opportunities for senior Embassy staff and visitors to engage with contacts
- Identify and deliver projects with partners to leverage UK expertise to support China’s reforms
Outreach and Events Organising
- Identify and attend relevant external talks/seminars on Chinese domestic development.
- Maintain the Embassy’s reputation as a centre of excellence by leading on arranging events, workshops and Town Hall meetings for incoming expert speakers
- Contribute to teach-in sessions with the team, wider embassy and external stakeholders.
Interpretation and Logistical Support
- Conduct ad hoc interpretation and translation tasks on behalf of political section for the Ambassador, senior visitors and colleagues.
- Provide logistical support for high level visits and assist in meeting briefings as needed.
- Coordinate information flows within the team. Update the Embassy’s internal website in order to provide accessible and informative materials for the FCO’s Diplomatic Academy China section
- Provide flexible support/cover for colleagues in political section
- Perform a wider corporate role within the Embassy, contributing to the social and professional environment
- Bachelor Degree or above (preferably in an analytical/journalist/political related subject)
- Skills/experience in conducting book, media & internet-based research, preferably within an academic or Chinese government context
- Ability to conduct ad hoc translation and interpretation to a good standard
- IT skills/experience with Microsoft Word and Outlook
- Knowledge of China’s political system or relevant social issues
- Highly proficient in English and Chinese
- Advanced Degree in related subject with experience conducting policy analysis of China
- Past experience of working in or with the UK
- Past experience and/or existing contacts within Beijing-based academics and media specialists
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc. The gross salary (before all deductions) is CNY 17, 670/ month for Chinese Nationals and an abated monthly salary of CNY 24, 529/ month for British Nationals and spouses/ partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata.
Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs.
For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Beijing is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
All applications must be received before 11:55PM (China Standard Time) on 01 July 2018.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.
This opportunity is closed to applications.